|Damage||38 / 33 (Ranged)|
|Knockback||1 (Extremely weak)|
|Use time||30 (Average)|
|Tooltip||Latches on to enemies for continuous damage|
- Mechanical Piranha
The Piranha Gun is a Hardmode post-Plantera ranged weapon that fires three / a single returning Mechanical Piranha projectile(s) that costs no ammunition. The mechanical fish will stick onto an enemy to do continuous damage while the ⚒ Use / Attack button is held. Each can target different enemies, or the same one, if there are too few nearby. If the initial target is killed and the button is still held, the projectiles will seek out nearby enemies. It returns to the gun once no other enemies are in the vicinity, when the button is released, or after one minute of continuous use. The Piranha Gun is found in the Dungeon's Jungle Chest, which requires the Jungle Key to open, and only after Plantera has been defeated.
The first enemy the piranha attaches to must be in direct line of sight. However, any other nearby enemy besides the first target will not require a line of sight. It hits 7.5 times per second and deals damage in a very small area, meaning that if other enemies get too close they can also be damaged simultaneously.
Its best modifier is Unreal. Because its attack speed is unaffected by modifiers, Godly and Demonic can also be considered the best modifiers for a Piranha Gun.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The piranha will not latch onto other players in PvP.
- When traveling away from the player, the piranha moves at about 71 mph; coming back, it moves at 102 mph.
- While the ⚒ Use / Attack button is held and the piranha is attacking enemies, the player can move about without worrying about keeping aim.
- The Piranha Gun does not receive a damage bonus from any of the three Shroomite armor headpieces. However, non-specific bonuses to ranged weapons are properly applied to this weapon.
- The Piranha Gun does approximately 15,000 total damage over the course of one minute, before factoring in enemy defense.
- Like other projectiles, the piranha travels slower in liquids.
- The piranha's damage and critical strike chance is determined at launch and remains in effect until it returns to the gun. Using this weapon while in stealth mode of Shroomite armor/Vortex armor will cause it to deal increased damage, which remains until the fish flies back to the gun.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Piranha Gun is great for eliminating swarms of enemies as the player can hide behind walls while the piranha jumps between enemies in a wide open space. It is especially good for eliminating Paladins and teleporting enemies, since the piranha will lock onto and follow the target with each teleport and pass through solid blocks in the process. Also, since Paladins do not attack without direct line of sight, they will just receive damage and eventually be defeated if the player hides.
- Its high attack rate, ability to remain on top of a target, and weak knockback, combine to slow or stun-lock many enemies. Certain enemies and bosses, or boss parts (like Golem's fists), cannot attack or fire while being damaged; thus, the Piranha Gun prevents them from attacking.
- It can be used to constantly damage bosses without having to focus on aiming or going in close for melee attacks. This can allow the player to focus on dodging and hold out for any debuffs to clear, such as Potion Sickness. However, in compensation for its homing ability, the damage is comparatively low.
- The Piranha Gun can also be used against Dungeon Guardians because of its ability to cause continuous damage while following its target. It also does not consume ammunition, making fights against it less costly.
- Due to an oversight with the Shroomite Armor, the player can gain the damage bonus from the set, fire the piranha, and retain the extra damage from the stealth set bonus. This bonus damage will remain until the player releases the trigger.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The piranha travels slower in water, despite being based on a fish.
- The weapon's sprite seems to squint after it latches on to a target.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: The Mechanical Piranhas fired from the Piranha Gun will now catch up more quickly so you can't outrun them.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Item and projectile sprites updated.
- Now shoots three piranhas instead of one.
- The rate at which the Piranhas can bite has been decreased slightly on an individual basis.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Damage increased from 33 to 38.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Fixed bug where piranha gun would chase invincible enemies (blazing wheels and dungeon flails).
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Does more hits per second.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Damage slightly increased.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.