|AI Type||Plantera AI|
|Damage||50/100/150 (melee) |
54/96/144 (green Poison Seed)
62/108/162 (Thorn Ball)
120 (Thorn Ball)
|Debuff tooltip||Slowly losing life|
|Chance||50%/100% (green Poison Seed)|
|AI Type||Plantera AI|
- Internal NPC ID: 262
“A dormant, yet powerful floral guardian awoken by the fallout of Cthulhu's destroyed machinations. Its reach spans the entire jungle.
— The Bestiary
"The jungle grows restless..."
Plantera is a Hardmode boss that can be fought in the Underground Jungle after all three mechanical bosses (The Destroyer, Skeletron Prime, and The Twins) have been defeated. Plantera drops a Temple Key upon defeat, allowing access to the Jungle Temple.
While Plantera is alive, her exclusive music Plantera will play.
Summoning[edit | edit source]
After all three mechanical bosses have been defeated, Plantera's Bulbs will randomly spawn in the Underground Jungle (indicated by the status message "The jungle grows restless..."). Destroying one of these bulbs will immediately cause Plantera to spawn. She can spawn a fair distance off-screen. The bulbs can only break if mined with a pickaxe, or if the blocks under it are broken or the Jungle Grass is converted via biome spread or the Clentaminator.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
First form[edit | edit source]
Plantera creeps after the player, firing pink Seeds with increasing speed as she takes more damage. When below 80% health (24000 / 33600 / 42839), she begins dispensing bouncing Thorn Balls and firing green Poison Seeds.
Second form[edit | edit source]
Once Plantera is brought down to half of her maximum health(15000 / 21000 / 26774), she changes to her second form: her pink petals fall away to reveal a thorn-filled mouth. In this form, Plantera moves more aggressively in attempts to make contact; her melee damage increases to 70 / 140 / 210, but her defense decreases significantly to 10. She also sprouts additional mouths that are attached via vines (called "Plantera's Tentacles") to her body. Once all of the tentacles have been killed, they will never regrow, making Plantera much easier to fight.
Plantera will also release floating pink spore projectiles that drift towards the player, similar to the spores released by the Giant Fungi Bulb.
Enraged behavior[edit | edit source]
Plantera only becomes "enraged" if she follows the player out of the Underground Jungle, whether it be to the surface, to the Underworld, to a Corrupted/Crimsoned or Hallowed part of the Underground Jungle, or to a completely different biome. This causes her to obtain double damage, double defense (quadruple defense in the second form) and increased movement speed, as well as changing her attack patterns and directly rushing the player. Her projectiles also deal double damage. Plantera's behavior returns to normal upon re-entry of the Underground Jungle biome.
Attack types[edit | edit source]
- Plantera's Hooks: The ends of Plantera's tentacles, which cling to surfaces and deal 60 / 120 / 180 damage on contact.
- Seeds (first stage): Similar to the stingers of the Hornets and petals of Flower Pow. The green Poison Seeds are more deadly than the more frequently fired pink Seeds, but are not fired until Plantera's health depletes past 80% life (24000 / 33600 / 42839). Pink and green Seeds deal 44 / 76 / 114 and 54 / 96 / 144 damage, respectively.
- Thorn Balls (first stage): Thorn Balls are similar to the Spiky Ball weapon. They bounce around erratically and can overwhelm the player if they stay in the same area for too long, as well as dealing 62 / 108 / 162 damage on contact. Plantera will not begin releasing Thorn Balls until she drops below 80% of her life (24000 / 33600 / 42839), similarly to the green poison seeds. She will stop releasing the Thorn Balls once she enters the second stage, although the Thorn Balls previously released may linger for a bit.
- Plantera's Tentacles (second stage): Gnawing minions on "leashes", akin to smaller versions of The Hungry. They deal 60 / 138 / 206 damage and get in the way of the player's attacks, making piercing weapons more valuable. With 1000 / 2000 / 2550 life they are relatively weak and easily killed with proper equipment.
- Spores (second stage): Similar to the Fungi Spores fired by the Giant Fungi Bulb, traveling through blocks. Easily destroyed, similar to Burning Spheres and Water Spheres, but deal 70 / 140›126 / 210›189 damage if touched.
Expert mode[edit | edit source]
In Expert Mode, there are a few significant differences in Plantera's attacks, aside from the default increased health and damage.
Phase 1[edit | edit source]
Plantera's Seeds, that originally did not travel through blocks, now can and deal increased damage. They also have limited homing capabilities.
The Thorn Balls are also more common and home in on the player.
Phase 2[edit | edit source]
Plantera's Tentacles, originally only attached to the body, now are attached to the Hooks and have increased in number (considering there are 3 more for each hook, there appear to be 9 extra tentacles). They also have more health than usual (including the default increased health). Plantera's body also does more damage and is faster than normal.
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
Plantera always drops a Temple Key, which grants access to the Jungle Temple and the Golem boss. In the Old-gen console version and , Temple Keys can also be combined with versionBiome Key Molds to craft Biome Keys; but in the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, Biome Keys drop in their respective biomes and no longer require molds.
A status message saying "Screams are echoing from the dungeon..." will appear, signaling that new, more difficult enemy types will begin spawning in the Dungeon (see details). These drop powerful new weapons, accessories, and other items. Dungeon Spirits will begin to appear when Dungeon enemies with more than 100 health are slain, which drop Ectoplasm, a new crafting material that offers access to the Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon events, as well as Spectre Bars.
- Hardmode Crimson, Corruption, and Hallow spread is slowed to 1/2 (50%) of their previous speed.
- Biome Keys can now be used to open Biome Chests in the Dungeon (they can unlock Chests pre-Plantera on Old-gen console and ).
- The Cyborg NPC becomes available.
- The Truffle begins selling the Autohammer, used to craft Shroomite Bars and upgrade Rockets.
- The Traveling Merchant begins selling the Pulse Bow.
- The Witch Doctor begins selling several items related to minion summoning ( some items additionally require a Pygmy Staff), as well as the Vial of Venom.
- Butcher, Nailhead, Deadly Sphere, Psycho and Dr. Man Fly will start spawning during the Solar Eclipse event.
- The Prismatic Lacewing starts spawning in the Hallow, allowing the Empress of Light to be summoned.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If Plantera is currently summoned and another bulb is broken, a second Plantera will not be summoned, though the bulb will be destroyed.
- If Plantera has no surfaces to latch onto, she will slowly float upward, going up into the space portion of the map, or until she hits a space where she can latch onto again. Plantera's Hooks pass through blocks, so trying to trap her will be unsuccessful; she will simply latch out.
- If the three mechanical bosses are defeated prior to the Wall of Flesh, killing the Wall of Flesh is still required to trigger the status message "The jungle grows restless..."
- In the , Plantera's Thorn Balls do significantly more damage, hitting even harder than other platforms on versionExpert Mode.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Excavate a sizable area to allow easier dodging before summoning Plantera.
- Widening a Bee Hive in the Underground Jungle is a fast and effective way of making an arena for fighting Plantera (but watch out for the Larva unless you want to intentionally summon Queen Bee).
- Make sure the area has no background walls. This will significantly reduce Plantera’s mobility in phase 2 as they can hook onto walls.
- Using a Gravitation Potion can help the player avoid damage from Thorn Balls laying on the ground, as the Thorn Balls obey gravity and fall to the floor. Alternatively, the player can use an arena which has a large empty area at the bottom for Thorn Balls to bounce in, well below the player and out of harm's way.
- Plantera's Bulbs can spawn in player-made Jungle biomes, which can provide a slightly easier way to fight Plantera.
- Narrow passages slow Plantera as it takes more time for her to grip the surrounding terrain.
- The use of a Hellevator combined with wings can make the Plantera fight drastically easier by spawning Plantera at a higher point in the jungle, and gliding downward while using a ranged weapon.
- In Plantera's second form, her only ranged attack consists of the Spores which are very easy to kill. This means as long as the player maintains their distance, they could kill her while taking little to no damage as long as they have a decently-sized arena.
- For players on the Old-gen console version and , it is a good idea to keep the Temple Key for crafting versionBiome Keys, and enter the Jungle Temple with Actuators instead.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name "Plantera" is a play on the title of the former American groove metal band from the 1990's named Pantera, which is Cenx's favorite band. Plantera drops a hamaxe named "The Axe", that looks like a Gibson Flying V electric guitar. This boss and her drop is a tribute to Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell. Also, the achievement for defeating Plantera is called "The Great Southern Plantkill" in reference to Pantera's eighth studio album The Great Southern Trendkill, and their song named "The Great Southern Trendkill", both released mid 1996. Plantera's boss music is also metal-themed.
- On the Old-gen console version, the saving icon is one of the Thorn Balls that Plantera fires.
- Plantera has the largest amount of drops in the game, surpassing even the Queen Bee at 19.
- Plantera is one of 5 bosses with exclusive music, the others being Queen Slime, Empress of Light, Duke Fishron and Moon Lord.
- Plantera was also the first boss to have exclusive music, having her own music ever since she was added.
- Plantera appears to be an overgrown snapdragon flower with its petals shut in her first phase, while the Spores are snapdragons with their petals shut.
- According to Cenx, Plantera is female.
- Plantera and the Empress of Light have the only musical instrument drops of any boss, with The Axe and the Stellar Tune having the same drop chance as well.
- Coincidentally, both are female bosses with enraged forms.
- If including the Mud Bud, Plantera gives access to the most Pet summoning items of any boss, these being the Mud Bud, Seedling, and Plantera Seedling.
- The Otherworldly music used for Plantera is named "Rage of Tarunnk" in the Terraria: Otherworld official soundtrack.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Hook, Tentacle, Spore and Plantera sprites updated.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Fixed Plantera flag not triggering for non-English users.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Desktop 1.2.4: Fixed bug where "The jungle grows restless" message would appear when you defeat Wall of Flesh, which occurs most often in online servers.
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Plantera is no longer needed for solar eclipses.
- Its speed has been reduced.
- Plantera now enrages when taken out of the Jungle or to the surface.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: When killed for the first time the message "Screams are echoing from the dungeon..." will now appear.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11.1:
- Fixed a problem that defeating plantera would force serverside characters.
- Solar Eclipses now only happen after Plantera has been defeated.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Plantera now must be defeated to allow Hardmode dungeon enemies to spawn.
- Hardmode Crimson, Corruption, and Hallow spread is now slowed after killing Plantera instead of any Mechanical Boss.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
References[edit | edit source]
- Information taken from the Desktop 22.214.171.124 source code, method
). Note that several of Plantera's stats, including damage and defense, are hard-coded there.
aiStyle == 51
- For the first time Plantera has been defeated in a given world, the Grenade Launcher will always be selected from the seven options. Otherwise, each option is equally likely.
- Information taken from the Desktop 126.96.36.199 source code, methods
- Cenx' message in #terraria-chat-1 on the official Terraria Discord server (permalink)