Poison Staff

From Terraria Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Poison Staff
  • Poison Staff item spriteold Poison Staff item sprite
Autofire
Stack digit 1.png
Statistics
Type
Damage43 (Magic)
Knockback5.6 (Average)
Mana22
Critical chance4%
Use time36 (Very slow)
Velocity13.5
TooltipShoots a poison fang that pierces multiple enemies
Rarity06*Rarity level: 6
Sell4
Research1 required
Inflicts Debuff
DebuffPoisonedPoisoned
Debuff tooltipSlowly losing life
Duration30 seconds
Projectile created
  • Poison Fang
    Poison Fang
The Poison Staff's poison fangs piercing Target Dummies.

The Poison Staff is a Hardmode magic weapon which auto-fires a roughly 30-degree spread of 3-4 Poison Fangs that pierce multiple enemies and inflict the Poisoned debuff. It is dropped by Black Recluses, which are found in or around Spider Caves, with a 2.5*1/40 (2.5%) drop chance.

Its best modifier is Mythical.

Crafting[edit | edit source]

Used in[edit | edit source]

Notes[edit | edit source]

  • Console VersionOld-gen console version3DS version Each enemy is only damaged once by a single burst, regardless of how many projectiles hit.
  • The chance of firing 3 projectiles is 66.67*2/3 (66.67%) and the chance of firing 4 projectiles is 33.33*1/3 (33.33%).[1]
  • Desktop and Mobile versions Projectiles have a limited range and do not last indefinitely. They dissipate after traveling 37 tiles.

Tips[edit | edit source]

Trivia[edit | edit source]

  • Although the tooltip says that it shoots one fang, there are actually multiple projectiles.

History[edit | edit source]

  • Desktop 1.4.1: Range increased slightly, from roughly 30 to 37 blocks.
  • Desktop 1.4.0.1:
    • Implemented a system that allows all of the projectiles to hit a target, to improve the shotgun-like functionality.
    • Damage decreased from 48 to 43.
    • Reduced number of enemies that each projectile can hit from 4 to 3.
    • Applies a 25% damage penalty to the next hit for each enemy a projectile pierces.
    • Projectiles now have a limited range.
    • Item and projectile sprites updated.
  • Desktop 1.2.3:
    • Damage decreased from 59 to 48.
    • Mana cost increased from 12 to 22.
    • Now used to craft the Venom Staff.
  • Console 1.06:
    • Damage decreased from 59 to 48.
    • Mana cost increased from 12 to 22.
    • Now used to craft the Venom Staff.
  • Mobile 1.2.11212:
    • Damage decreased from 59 to 48.
    • Mana cost increased from 12 to 22.
    • Now used to craft the Venom Staff.
  • 3DS-Release: Introduced with mechanics from Desktop 1.2.3.

References[edit | edit source]

  1. Information taken from the Desktop version Desktop 1.4.1.1 source code, method ItemCheck_Shoot() in Terraria.Player.cs