The Portal Gun is a Hardmode, post-Moon Lord item. It is always dropped by the Moon Lord. It launches projectiles capable of creating up to two portals (one fired via ⚒ Use / Attack, the other via ⚷ Open / Activate) upon impact with blocks. These two portals are linked; any player that touches one will be instantly transported to the other one, without losing momentum. NPCs can be teleported with the Portal Gun. Enemies or projectiles cannot be teleported.
The Portal Gun has a maximum range of 675 blocks (1350 feet). It takes two seconds for the projectile to travel this distance.
The surface which a portal gun creates a portal on, must extend 3 blocks. So a portal will not be created on a 2 or 1 block surface.
While selected, the Portal Gun will alter the player's physics: maximum fall speed * 3.5 (from 51MPH to 179MPH) and horizontal momentum/inertia is kept while in the air. This effect is also applied if the last entity that affected the player's fall was a portal.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Portals can face up or down, left or right, or diagonal in any direction, and need to have at least 3 blocks straight in any direction to be applied.
- NPCs can walk through portals.
- If the player attempts to use the Portal Gun with an object, such as a chest, they will fire a second portal slightly before opening the chest, thus rendering them unable to move any items and ruining their portal placement at the same time.
- Despite being a tool, the Portal Gun cannot be placed on a Weapon Rack.
- In multiplayer, all players will have different portal colors.
- The Portal Gun alone does not block fall damage, but traveling through a portal will reset fall damage taken.
- Teleporting quickly shifts the viewpoint instead of instantly setting it to the destination point if the two portals are within viewable distance of each other.
- Portals close if the player gets around 1600 feet (800 blocks) away from them, dies, or leaves the world.
- A mounted player cannot travel through a portal.
- The increased fall speed does not work while riding a mount.
- The effects of touching a block will occur before the player enters a portal. A portal placed on damaging blocks will harm the player, and one placed on Pink Slime Blocks will cause a player to bounce, slowing their fall speed.
- If a player were to use the portal gun at the top of their world they can use the incredible falling speed combined with decent wings to remain at a stable altitude while keeping a horizontal speed of 179 mph. This can then be used to cross the map very quickly.
- If a player shoots both portals at the same location, the portals have no effect and the player walks on the blocks as the new portal will be put over the already existing one, as two portals cannot share the same space.
- A portal gun can place portals on actuated blocks if they're active.
- Traveling through a portal does not reset the flight timer, and as such cannot be used for infinite flight.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Portal Gun is a direct reference to Portal (video game).
- Despite being dropped by Moon Lord, it still only has a yellow Rarity.
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Portal Gun bolt speed quadrupled to prevent the player traveling faster than the bolt.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Fixed portal gun right-click working in camera mode.
- Teleportation should no longer black out the screen if the end point is located on the same screen area.
- In accordance with the numerous fixes to teleportation and velocity, Portal Gun maximum falling speed has been tripled!
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()