Potion of Return
|Use time||30 (Average)|
|Tooltip||Teleports you home and creates a portal|
Use portal to return when you are done
'Good for one round trip!'
- Internal Item ID: 4870
The Potion of Return is a potion that teleports the player back to their spawn point, similar to the Recall Potion, and additionally creates a portal exit at the location where the potion was consumed. A portal entrance will be created at the spawn point, which can be used to teleport back to where the player consumed the potion. The portal can only be used once and will disappear afterwards. In addition to being crafted, the Potion of Return can be found in Shadow Chests and Pots in the Underworld.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Only one portal can be active at any time in the world. If a second Potion of Return is used before using a portal, the first portal will disappear.
- The portal will vanish upon exiting the world, and so cannot be used across play sessions.
- The entrance and exit of the portal will be displayed on the minimap. Unlike pylons, however, the portal cannot be used from there.
- In Multiplayer, each player is only capable of seeing their own portal and will only be able to use their own portal. This means that overlapping portals is a non issue. When there is another player's portal around, you will see a slightly blurred and less visible version of the portal.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- In general, the Potion of Return is useful in remote locations that cannot be easily accessed from the spawn point. For instance, it can be used during exploration to clear a full inventory at spawn or stock up on consumables.
- It can be particularly useful during boss fights not rooted to a specific biome, such as the Moon Lord: Consuming the potion to return to the Nurse for healing allows quickly returning back to the fight.
- If a player is surrounded by enemies and finds themselves in danger, it can be useful to use a Potion of Return to teleport away and come back a few seconds later. This is likely to cause the enemies to despawn before you re-enter, and can be especially useful on harder difficulties where the player can very easily become overwhelmed.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The tooltip of this item, "'Good for one round trip!'", is a nod to many public transit systems, particularly bus, airplane, or train tickets, which often display text such as "round trip" when referring to the use of the ticket.
- The entrance and exit portal sprites are slightly different, with exit portal sprite having a lighter outline.
- The Potion of Return is likely a reference to Diablo (series), which allows the player to cast a town portal to travel to their town and back to where they cast it, almost identically to the way the Potion of Return works.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Fixed a crash when sitting/sleeping in relation to the Potion of Return.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Introduced.
- Mobile 184.108.40.206.0: Introduced with changes from 220.127.116.11.