Potions are a group of consumable items that either recover health and/or mana or grant temporary buffs. Potions are commonly found in natural chests and Pots and can be dropped by enemies, purchased from NPCs, or crafted. Most potions can be crafted at a Placed Bottle or Alchemy Table, but flasks must be crafted at an Imbuing Station. Potion buffs can be canceled at any time by right-clicking the buff icon (), by selecting the buff icon and canceling it in the equipment menu ( ), by double-tapping the buff icon (), or by canceling the buff from the buffs screen (). All Potions require 20 to unlock duplication, but 30 are needed for recovery potions.
These potions restore health, mana, or even both at the same time. They are limited in use by the Potion Sickness and Mana Sickness debuffs, respectively. The Potion Sickness debuff duration can be reduced with a Charm of Myths or a Philosopher's Stone.
These grant the character a temporary, usually short-lived buff when consumed. They are crafted at a Placed Bottle or an Alchemy Table. Pressing the buff key (Quick Buff by default) will consume one of each of the player's buff potions in their inventory.
These grant the character a temporary melee and whips-specific buff when consumed. Only one flask buff can be active at a time. Crafted at an Imbuing Station.
These are potions that do not fit in the other categories.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Certain potions' sprites use bottles that correlate with real-life flasks. These include:
- All of the Lesser potions, using an Erlenmeyer flask.
- The Strange Brew, using a Florence flask.
- The Ironskin, Regeneration, Swiftness, and Gills Potions all use test tubes.
- The in-game flasks are slight modifications of the round bottom flasks with special stoppers.
- All other potions seem to be extreme modifications of the Dewar flask or Erlenmeyer flask.
- All potions (excluding the Recovery potions) use a glass stopper.
- The sprite for the Wiesnbräu is a reference to a popular drinking glass, and has been seen in the 2006 American comedy film Beerfest.
- On , if the player quickly uses a potion right after they leave their inventory, the potion will be used, but not consumed. However, the buff/debuff from it will only last 1 minute. Note that this might not work every time.
- Some potions can only be crafted in worlds with the proper evil biome:
- Thorns and Wrath potions can only be crafted in worlds with Corruption.
- Heartreach and Rage potions can only be crafted in worlds with Crimson.
- Both the Heartreach and Thorns Potions can be found in Chests, regardless of world type. Additionally Heartreach potions can be found in Crates. However, this represents a limited (non-renewable) supply for Thorn Potions.
- Of these four potions, only the Heartreach potion can be obtained from Crates.
- Note that since 126.96.36.199 update, you can place a Dryad in graveyard biome and get opposite evil's seeds, so all of these potions are available to craft on every world.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Changed buff potion durations. Added 61 food items
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Super Healing Potions, Strange Brew, Bacon, Gender Change Potion, and Wormhole Potions added. Each potion given new sprites.