Presents are special items that have a 7.69% chance (1/13) to be dropped by any enemy during the Christmas holiday season (December 15–31). Presents operate like Grab Bags, each containing random items. They are opened by right-clicking or using the RT button on them from within the player's inventory, similar to Goodie Bags and Crates.
Enemies spawned by Statues, and enemies from the Old One's Army, are exceptions, and will not drop Presents. Some bosses, including Eater of Worlds and Eye of Cthulhu, do not drop presents.
Presents always appear as blue in the player's inventory. Once placed, the present will appear as a random color.
The old Blue, Green, and Yellow Presents still exist on the Mobile version and .
Openable Presents cannot be placed in the Mobile version. Initially, Presents dropped from Present Mimics could be placed, although they disappeared after placement. They no longer drop, but have not been removed. For more information, see Present (Furniture).
Presents collected during the Christmas season can still be opened outside that time period.
Desktop, Console, Old-gen console, and Mobile versions[edit | edit source]
If you missed the holiday seasonal event and you just can't wait, changing the date on your device to a time between December 15th - 31st will allow you to receive presents from monster drops as well as have Santa Claus
move into a House
- Presents can be placed down as furniture. The color of the present changes each time you place it down.
- If you open a present and get an outfit, you get all 3 parts.
- After the 1.1.1 Christmas update, nearly any item could erroneously drop from presents. . This glitch has since been fixed.
- Desktop 1.2.2:
- Blue Present, Green Present, and Yellow Present (Item IDs 599-601) no longer drop. Any of these still in the player's storage or inventory remain unchanged.
- Enemies now drop Present (Item ID 1869) instead of the previous Blue, Green, and Yellow Presents.
- Now stackable.
- Now placeable, with eight different color variations when placed.
- Larger assortment of possible drops (previously only contained Candy Cane Blocks, Green Candy Cane Blocks, or Snow Globe.)