The Prismatic Lacewing is a rare flying Critter that spawns in the Surface Hallow from dusk until midnight after Plantera has been defeated. Killing it summons the Empress of Light boss; death from other causes will not result in summoning.
The Prismatic Lacewing can be caught with a Bug Net. Releasing it from the inventory (with ⚒ Use / Attack) in any biome and then killing it will still summon the Empress of Light. Only one Lacewing can be naturally spawned at a time. Because it can only spawn between dusk and midnight, its spawn is limited to between the times of 7:30 PM and 12:00 AM. This can also be used to craft a Prismatic Lacewing Jar.
It is one of the few critters that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Contrary to popular rumors, wind does not seem to affect rarity or spawn rates.
- It is classified in-game as an enemy so that no other monsters would be able to kill it and subsequently summon the boss. However, player summoned creatures (such as the Stardust Dragon) will not actively attack it (Presently unconfirmed, 'activated' summons that have been triggered by another enemy may target the Prismatic Lacewing).
- Using a Bug Net, you can keep it in your inventory to later release it at a more appropriate time, such as to fight the Empress of Light when better prepared.
- The Lacewing will despawn almost immediately if released outside the Hallow, but can still be killed to summon the Empress of Light if done fast enough.
- Lacewings will only spawn on Hallowed grass (not including its mowed version), Pearlstone Blocks, Pearlsand Blocks, and Pink Ice Blocks.
- A Lacewing can only be damaged by a player if they are close enough, and will appear translucent if the player is far away. This is likely done to prevent accidentally summoning the Empress of Light while it is off.
- Lacewings can also spawn during events such as the Lunar event, even in pillar zones.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Guide To Critter Companionship can be helpful in preventing one from accidentally summoning the Empress of Light.
- A Lifeform Analyzer can be used to see if one is nearby.
- Using a Battle Potion and Water Candle increases its spawn rate, like other monsters.
- Similarly, because it is considered an enemy, the spawn rate is increased during the Blood Moon event and can be easily farmed using a Bloody Tear.
- Building a platform roughly 35 tiles above a Hallow biome while under the influence of a Water Candle, you can expect 3-8 Lacewings to spawn, provided you are there from 7:30 PM to 12:00 AM.
- If you don't have a Hallowed Forest or Desert in your world, then you can use a Clentaminator with Blue Solution to create one.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Bestiary entry for the Prismatic Lacewing: "Should one of these luminescent beings perish in the chaos of night, a sleeping tyrant is rumored to violently awaken."
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Spawn rate significantly increased.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Introduced.