|Use time||8 Insanely Fast|
|Tooltip||Allows you to go into stealth mode|
- Internal Item ID: 3106
The Psycho Knife is a Hardmode, post-Plantera melee weapon that has a 2.5% / 4.94% (1/40 / 79/1600) chance to be dropped by the Psycho during the Solar Eclipse event. When holding the Psycho Knife and standing still, the player will quickly enter stealth mode, causing them to turn almost completely transparent, move much more slowly, and no longer be targeted by enemies.
Stealth mode is engaged gradually over the course of about one second, during which the weapon's stats are steadily boosted up to the following values:
- Damage +300%: 340 (from 85) /280 (from 70)
- Critical chance +30: 34% (from 4%)
- Knockback +100%: 7 "Strong" (from 3.5 "Weak")
Stealth mode is disengaged when successfully attacking an enemy, when switching to a different weapon or when riding a mount. Swinging the weapon alone does not cancel stealth, nor does walking or flying. Standing still again afterward re-engages it. Moving or swinging the weapon during the one-second transition period, however, will cancel stealth mode.
Its best modifier is Legendary. Due to rounding, the Light modifier gives the same speed bonus as Legendary, with fewer other bonuses.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Psycho Knife only receives 33% of any melee speed bonus.
- The Psycho Knife is tied with the Fetid Baghnakhs for fastest melee weapon in the game. However, given the Baghnakhs' 75% melee speed bonus reduction compared to the Psycho Knife's 66% speed reduction, the Psycho Knife is capable of reaching higher speeds.
- The stealth mode that is activated by the Psycho Knife is similar to that of the special ability of Shroomite armor.
- Wings' vertical flight speed is not affected, but horizontal flight speed is slowed to the same rate as walking.
- The dash from the Solar Flare armor and the Shield of Cthulhu also gain the stealth mode damage boost.
- Other players can see a stealthed player who is using the Psycho Knife if they are missing health, as the health bar will be shown above their head.
- Aggro-increasing accessories like the Flesh Knuckles or late game tank armor will still cause enemies to target the player, even in stealth mode.
- All other melee weapons are affected by the increased stats from stealth mode; however, if you attempt to switch weapons the stealth will disappear.
- Melee weapon projectile stats from any weapon will be boosted during stealth, which is useful for large amounts of enemies.
- Using Meowmere and switching to Psycho Knife before the projectile hits will result in extreme damage to enemies hit during stealth.
- If the user enters stealth, holds the attack button to autoswing their Psycho Knife, and uses the Quick Mount function, they will retain stealth while using their mount until an enemy is hit by the weapon or they stop swinging.
- Summoners can use the stealth mode of this weapon to hide from enemies while still using a full set of summoner-equipment to have minions deal with any enemy.
- Enemies which fire projectiles and certain flying enemies will target through stealth.
- Projectile firing enemies will not, however, chase the stealthed player.
- By gaining the Striking Moment buff from the Brand of the Inferno weapon before switching to the Psycho Knife, one can easily deal over 2000 damage in a single hit if it is a critical hit.
- This damage can be drastically increased to well over 7000 in a single hit when utilizing banners in Expert mode alongside damage boosting gear such as armor and accessories, marking it one of the highest damaging strategies in the game.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Anti-Gravity Hook can be used to move faster while in stealth mode; simply hook the floor while in stealth mode and jump, it will boost your movement speed significantly. The psycho knife can be used in Vortex armor stealth mode with high damage while swinging.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Damage increased from 70 to 85.
- Use Time decreased from 20 to 8.
- Now only gains 33% benefit from increased melee speed stats..
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 126.96.36.199: Introduced.