Pumpkins are a crafting material that grow on grass. They can be planted manually by the player year-round by purchasing Pumpkin Seeds from the Dryad NPC and placing them on grass. They also grow naturally in random grass locations during the Halloween and Oktoberfest seasonal events.
Harvesting fully grown Pumpkins during the Halloween season will rarely yield a Magical Pumpkin Seed, which is used to summon the Squashling pet.
Pumpkin Seeds each require two blocks width and two blocks height to grow Pumpkins.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- A Pumpkin plant will yield Pumpkins in any stage except while it is fully green. The bigger it is, the more Pumpkins will be harvested.
- Harvesting a fully grown plant will yield 7-8 Pumpkins on average.
- Harvesting Pumpkins will not yield Pumpkin Seeds (except possibly the Magical Pumpkin Seed pet), these seeds can only be bought from the Dryad.
- Pumpkins can grow on Hallowed grass, but not on Crimson or Corrupt grass. However, due to the biome spread of the evil biomes, it is possible for Pumpkins to be on Corrupt/Crimson grass.
- The Staff of Regrowth can be used to harvest and destroy Pumpkins.
- Pumpkins can only grow on the surface layer.
- Pumpkins can grow in front of background walls.
- Pumpkins can be harvested by any means (such as Actuators) in order to obtain the Magical Pumpkin Seed.
- Even when manually planted with Pumpkin Seeds bought from the Dryad, no Pumpkin can grow on dirt, only grass. The Staff of Regrowth can be used to grow grass on dirt.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- An easy way to farm Pumpkins during the Halloween season is to place strips of grass with Dart Traps firing just above them to destroy anything naturally growing on top of the grass. This will allow Pumpkins to grow instead, as Dart Traps do not destroy Pumpkins.
- Dedicated farming, like with this method, may cause the Magical Pumpkin Seed to be obtained much faster.
- It may be a good idea to start farming Pumpkins in pre-Hardmode so the player has access to a stock of Pumpkins for Pumpkin Moon Medallions in Hardmode.
- Making a new world during Halloween can give the player an edge in the early game, as Pumpkins spawn naturally, and the Pumpkin armor made from them can last all the way until the Eye of Cthulhu.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.2.4: Added more Pumpkin furniture: Bookcase, Chandelier, Chest, Clock, Lamp, Lantern, Piano, and Sofa.