|AI Type||Pumpking AI|
|Damage||50 / 75 (body)|
65 / 130 (blades)
80 / 160 (greek fire)
120 / 240 (scythe)
|Max Life||22000 / 28600|
|Immune to||All debuffs|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- + (50-100)
- Wave 15 (10-15 in Expert mode) only100%
- Internal NPC ID: 327
|AI Type||Pumpking Scythe AI|
|Damage||65 / 130|
|Max Life||5000 / 10000|
|Immune to||All debuffs|
- Internal NPC ID: 328
Pumpking is a Hardmode, post-Plantera mini-boss that spawns during the Pumpkin Moon event. It is the event's most difficult enemy, being one of the two whose main body consistently travels through blocks (the other being the Poltergeist) and is also immune to most debuffs. Up to seven of them (more in Multiplayer) can attack simultaneously during the event's final wave (wave 15).
Pumpking has two arms, each possessing a large scythe that periodically fires erratic projectiles. The hands otherwise act much like Skeletron's hands, swiping at the player to inflict melee damage. But unlike Skeletron, Pumpking's hands cannot take damage.
Like Mourning Wood, the later the wave Pumpking is killed in, the more likely it is to drop items. Pumpkings defeated during Wave 15 are guaranteed to produce one Pumpking Trophy along with one of its other items. Defeating the Pumpking will add 150 points during the Pumpkin Moon event, giving the most amount of points for any enemy during the event.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
Pumpking repeatedly switches between three different attack patterns at random. Its current attack mode is indicated by its facial expression. When transitioning to its next mode, its head rotates to reveal a different expression.
- Mode 1: The face resembles a typical jack-o-lantern, with a sinister-looking grin. It attempts to remain directly on the player, and performs aggressive melee swipes with its scythe arms. About 5 seconds into this stage, it will rapidly move towards the player at a high speed for the rest of the time it is in this stage.
- Mode 2: Pumpking's mouth is partially open. Its scythe arms fire large yellow scythe-shaped projectiles called Flame Scythes. Similar to the Demon Scythe, the projectiles are motionless for a few seconds, then gradually begin to spin and fly towards the player with increasing speed, dealing massive damage on hit.
- Mode 3: The face looks surprised, with its mouth agape in an 'O' shape. Pumpking follows from a greater distance and spits "Greek Fire" projectiles that are easily dodged, as they merely fall with little force. They remain on the ground for a short while and inflict damage on contact.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If not defeated before 4:30 AM, which is when dawn begins, all active Pumpkings will retreat straight down through the ground and despawn. This trait is also shared by Mourning Wood.
- If all players are dead, all spawned Pumpkings will retreat underground.
- Pumpking can prove to be difficult even with Moon Lord weapons, such as Meowmere or Last Prism, as Pumpking is very strong and can spawn up to 7 times (or more in Multiplayer), pressuring the player. Although with practice and high mobility items such as the Anti-Gravity Hook, Master Ninja Gear/Tabi or Shield Of Cthulhu, he can easily be dodged, similar to Duke Fishron.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Flairon can be very effective against the Pumpking, who tends to float right above players (well within range of the Flairon and its homing bubbles), causing very high damage per hit.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Strangely, the Horseman's Blade drops from Pumpking and not from the Headless Horseman.
- Pumpking is a portmanteau of "Pumpkin" and "King".
- Stray scythes thrown by Pumpking can travel far outside enemy spawn boundaries, able to kill NPCs in their houses.
- Although Pumpking’s blades have health and defense, they cannot be damaged.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: The duration of Pumpking’s scythe attack has been reduced.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced with reduced scythe attack duration.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced with reduced scythe attack duration.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.