|Knockback||3 (Very Weak)|
|Use time||27 Average|
|Tooltip||Summons a Pygmy to fight for you|
|Buff tooltip||The pygmies will fight for you|
The Pygmy Staff is a Hardmode summon weapon. It spawns a pygmy character that follows the player and attacks enemies via a ranged spear attack. Like other minions, the summoned pygmy is invincible and follows the player for an unlimited amount of time, unless the player dies, summons a replacement minion, or cancels the buff. The Pygmy Staff is dropped by Plantera with a 25% (1/4) / 50% (1/2) chance.
Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stats bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, minions cannot deal critical hits. The only significant advantage a Mythical Pygmy Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Summoned pygmies do not deal damage themselves. Instead, they attack by throwing spears twice per second.
- Spears do not pierce enemies, and vanish on the first target hit.
- Spears do not prevent other spears from hitting the same target however, so overall damage per second increases linearly with the addition of more pygmies.
- Spears have a 2/3 chance to inflict the Poisoned debuff for 10-21 seconds, and a 1/3 chance to inflict Venom, for the same duration. One of the two is always inflicted.
- Summoned pygmies' aims are somewhat inaccurate, so they might miss even relatively close and static targets, let alone moving ones.
- The Pygmy Staff item needs to reside in the player's inventory in order for the Witch Doctor to sell the Hercules Beetle, Pygmy Necklace and the Tiki armor.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Each time the Pygmy is summoned, it randomly has one of four possible sprite graphics. However, they are all functionally identical.
- The pygmy catches up to fast-moving players by flying while standing, sitting, or hanging on its spear.
- Each of the Pygmy’s colors (purple, blue, red, yellow/orange) seem to represent the colors of the 4 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Donnatello (purple), Leonardo (blue), Michelangelo (orange), and Raphael (red).
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Pygmies now have a chance to inflict Poisoned and Venom. Pygmies now have a larger range and the first projectile thrown will always pierce rather than getting stuck.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Now requires 10 mana.
- Desktop 1.2.4: No longer requires mana.
Damage increased from 29 to 34.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Damage increased from 27 to 29.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Damage increased from 25 to 27.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.