|Knockback||3 (Very weak)|
|Use time||28 (Average)|
|Tooltip||Summons a Pygmy to fight for you|
|Buff tooltip||The pygmies will fight for you|
- Pygmy 1
- Pygmy 2
- Pygmy 3
- Pygmy 4
- Pygmy Spear
The Pygmy Staff is a Hardmode, post-Plantera summon weapon. It spawns a pygmy minion that follows the player and attacks enemies with a ranged spear attack. Like other minions, the summoned pygmy is invincible and follows the player for an unlimited amount of time, unless the player dies, summons a replacement minion, or cancels the buff. The Pygmy Staff is dropped by Plantera with a
25*1/4 (25%) / 50*1/2 (50%) chance.
Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stat bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, minions cannot deal critical hits. The only lasting advantage a Mythical Pygmy Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Summoned pygmies do not deal damage themselves. Instead, they attack by throwing spears twice per second.
- Spears do not pierce enemies, and vanish on the first target hit. As of 18.104.22.168, the first spear thrown per volley will pierce through enemies.
- Spears do not prevent other spears from hitting the same target however, so overall damage per second increases linearly with the addition of more pygmies.
- Spears have a
66.67*2/3 (66.67%) chance to inflict the Poisoned debuff for 10–21 seconds, and a 33.33*1/3 (33.33%) chance to inflict Venom, for the same duration. One of the two is always inflicted.
- Summoned pygmies' aim is somewhat inaccurate, so they might miss even relatively close and static targets, let alone moving ones.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Each time the pygmy is summoned, it randomly has one of four possible sprite graphics. However, they are all functionally identical.
- The pygmy catches up to fast-moving players by flying while standing, sitting, or hanging on its spear.
- It is one of only four weapons in the game that can inflict Venom without any buffs or bonuses, the others being the Spider Staff, the Venom Staff, and the Queen Spider Staff.
- In real life, the term pygmy peoples is used for ethnic groups whose average height is relatively short. It is primarily associated with the African Pygmies.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.4.1:
- Projectile speed increased by 50%.
- Detection range increased by 40%.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Minion sprites updated.
- Minion spear sprite updated.
- Minion spear no longer pierces.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Now requires 10 mana.
- Desktop 1.2.4:
- No longer requires mana.
- Damage increased from 29 to 34.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Damage increased from 27 to 29.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Damage increased from 25 to 27.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.