|AI Type||Queen Bee AI|
|Damage||30 / 54 (melee)|
22 / 44 (stinger)
|Max Life||3400 / 4760|
|Defense||8 / 8-20 depending on health|
|Debuff duration||10 seconds / 20 seconds |
2 - 6 seconds (On contact)
|Debuff tooltip||Slowly losing life|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Internal NPC ID: 222
The Queen Bee is a pre-Hardmode boss. She is summoned by breaking the Larva inside Bee Hives of the Underground Jungle, or by using an Abeemination anywhere within the Jungle. She is immune to the Confused debuff, and can inflict the Poisoned debuff.
While Queen Bee is alive, music Boss 4 will play.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
The Queen Bee has three distinct attack patterns:
- She will level herself horizontally with the player and fly back and forth three times in an attempt to ram the player.
- She will spawn Bees while hovering (which will include larger ones in Expert mode), which attack the player.
- Similar to Hornets, the Queen Bee will rapidly fire poisonous stingers at the player. During this pattern, she will alternate between hovering above the player, and positioning herself to swoop in at the player from above.
- Strangely, although being able to inflict the Poisoned debuff, Queen Bee is not immune to it herself.
- In Expert mode, the lower her health is, the faster she'll do these attack patterns. This is most notable with her first attack, where she charges super quickly at ~1/10 HP
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|Sting Operation • "Defeat the Queen Bee, the matriarch of the jungle hives."|
|Defeat the Queen Bee for the first time.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Occasionally, a Bee Hive will be large enough to possess 2 Larvae. If a player is using a bouncing weapon such as the Water Bolt, they need to be wary of the second Larva, lest they be targeted by newly summoned, second Queen Bee.
- The Larva can be broken by any damaging weapon, similar to a Pot, so many actions such as the Orichalcum armor's set bonus or a Star Cloak can break the Larva, causing the Queen Bee to be unintentionally spawned.
- This is especially common if there are remaining larva within the Jungle late into the game, when it is possible to hit things anywhere on the screen, even behind solid blocks.
- Once the Queen Bee is defeated, the Witch Doctor NPC will spawn if there is a vacant house.
- Bees don't drop Souls of Light, Souls of Night, Biome Keys , or Biome Key Molds .
- The theme battle music is Boss 5 on the Desktop and Console and Boss 4 on Old-gen console, Mobile, and . Console and Mobile versions (see also: Music Boxes).
- Although rare, it is possible to obtain the Yelets from the Queen Bee if it is defeated after one of the Mechanical Bosses has been killed.
- In Multiplayer, Queen Bee appears not to despawn upon the death of players, and will follow them all the way back to the spawn.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Honey naturally found in Bee Hives can be used to craft Bottled Honey or provide passive health regeneration mid-fight. The Honey will slow down the player's movement, so it's best not to be in the Honey for too long.
- The Bees do little damage, but can easily become an annoyance as they can push the player around. If the player doesn't have a Cobalt Shield or Obsidian Shield to avoid knockback, any grappling hook can be used to anchor the player to blocks.
- Well placed Platforms and using Shurikens makes killing the Queen Bee fairly easy.
- Using a Thorn Chakram or Blade of Grass can poison her, and can kill her easily. Most players defeat this boss late in pre-Hardmode, around the time when these weapons become obtained.
- Bees spawned by the player will attack the Queen Bee.
- Water Bolt is very effective at taking down the Queen Bee as the Bee Hive is shaped very easily for the projectiles to bounce around a lot.
- If the player inadvertently breaks a Larva, and is unprepared for the fight, they can use a Magic Mirror or Recall Potion to teleport back to spawn. The Queen Bee will follow, but only to the border of the jungle, then it despawns. If the players spawn is near or in the jungle biome that The Queen Bee was spawned in, the player may have enough time to grab some Healing Potions and other supplies. It would be advisable to keep a campfire and Heart Lantern (and for magic users, a Star in a Bottle) near spawn, as well as a chest full of emergency supplies.
- The Bezoar can be really useful as it negates the Poisoned debuff, which the Queen Bee uses very often, especially in Expert mode.
- The Queen Bee can be easily farmed for Gold Coins because it's relatively high amount of Gold Coins and easiness to make an Abeemination and beat the Queen Bee.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Queen Bee has the second largest number of unique drops of any boss in the game at 14, one fewer than Plantera.
- In real life, queen honey bees are unable to sting due to their role in laying eggs in the hive.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.2.4: New drops added.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Fixed exploit where Queen Bee could get stuck in tiles and not move.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.