The Queen Spider Staff is a Hardmode sentry summon weapon that summons a Queen Spider sentry that lasts for two minutes. It fires short-range spider eggs at enemies which can roll and are heavily affected by gravity. Upon colliding with enemies or objects, the eggs hatch three baby spiders each that attack enemies suicide-style, inflicting Minion damage along with the Venom debuff.
The Queen Spider can be summoned in any area of the visible screen, even if blocks completely separate the player from the point chosen. It requires blocks or platforms to stand on.
Its best Modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stats bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, Minions cannot deal critical hits. The only significant advantage a Mythical Queen Spider Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
- It works much like the Staff of the Frost Hydra, but its projectiles are affected by gravity, have less damage, and neither the turret nor its projectiles provide light.
- The spiders which spawn from the 'egg' projectiles do not climb walls.
- The Queen Spider Staff can be used simultaneously with other sentry minions without impacting the player's normal minion total.
- The summon itself disappears upon colliding with an enemy. Which makes it virtually useless against bosses, as they move around the screen too much to realistically find a place to put it where it won't almost immediately be destroyed.
- The Staff can be helpful for clearing out caves and rooms without directly entering them, by summoning it through the wall.
- Because the Spider Fang item is a common drop (75% / 100% chance) from Black Recluse spiders, the Queen Spider Staff is easy to obtain and a useful aid in surviving early Hardmode.
- The Staff can be sold for 5 whereas the materials needed only sell for 1 20 (24 Spider Fangs), which makes selling the staff as opposed to the fangs a good way to make money.
- Multiple Spider Queens can be spawned if wearing any of the sets of Tavernkeep armor and any of the Ogre accessories, making it possible to have up to 4 Spider Queens summoned at once
- 1.3.4: Now considered a Sentry minion.
- 18.104.22.168: Damage increased from 19 to 21.
- 22.214.171.124: Now requires 10 mana (it didn't need mana before).