Queen Spider Staff
|Damage||26 / 19 (Summon)|
|Knockback||7.5 (Very strong)|
|Use time||30 (Average)|
|Tooltip||Summons a sentry|
Summons a spider queen to spit eggs at your enemies
- Spider Turret
- Spider Egg
- Baby Spider
The Queen Spider Staff is a Hardmode sentry summon weapon that summons a Queen Spider sentry that lasts for two minutes. The Queen Spider fires short-range spider eggs at enemies roughly once per second, which can bounce, roll, and are heavily affected by gravity. Upon colliding with enemies, the eggs break, dealing damage and spawning two baby spiders that attack enemies suicide-style, inflicting summon damage along with the Acid Venom debuff before disappearing. The eggs will eventually break and spawn spiders even if they do not hit an enemy. If there are no enemies within range, the baby spiders will persist for several seconds before vanishing.
Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stat bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, minions cannot deal critical hits. The only lasting advantage a Mythical Queen Spider Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Queen Spider Staff works much like the Staff of the Frost Hydra, but its projectiles are affected by gravity, have less damage, and neither the turret nor its projectiles provide light.
- Because each egg can deal three hits of damage, the Queen Spider's damage per shot is functionally three times higher than its listed base damage.
- The baby spiders which spawn from the egg projectiles do not climb walls, unlike the Spider minions.
- Like all sentries, the Queen Spider Staff can be summoned without impacting the player's normal minion total.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The staff can be helpful for clearing out caves and rooms without directly entering them, by summoning it through the wall.
- Because the Spider Fang item is a common drop (50% / 90% chance) from Black Recluse spiders, the Queen Spider Staff is relatively easy to obtain and a useful aid in surviving early Hardmode.
- Unlike the sentry weapons sold by the Tavernkeep, the Queen Spider Staff can take advantage of sentry capacity bonuses during the Old One's Army event because it does not use Etherian Mana.
- The staff can be sold for 5 whereas the materials needed only sell for 120 combined, which makes selling the staff as opposed to the fangs a good way to make money.
- It is possible to have up to 5 Spider Queens summoned at once when wearing any of the sets bought from the Tavernkeep and any of the Ogre accessories.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It is one of only four weapons in the game that can inflict Venom without any buffs or bonuses, the others being the Spider Staff, Pygmy Staff, and the Venom Staff.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.4: Now considered a Sentry minion.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Damage increased from 19 to 21.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Added requirement of 10 mana.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced with changes up to Desktop 126.96.36.199.
- Console 1.17: Now considered a Sentry minion.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Damage increased from 19 to 21. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Damage increased from 19 to 21. ()
- Console 1.08: Introduced, requires 10 mana.
- Mobile 188.8.131.52: Damage increased from 19 to 21.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Introduced, requires 10 mana.