As part of the Unified Community Platform project, your wiki will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Read more here.
|It has been suggested that this article or section be merged with Windy Day.|
Reason: "The articles are about weather-related events and thus should fall under a greater 'Weather' page."
Rain occurs randomly and affects all surface biomes for its duration. Each Rain event lasts for 24 in-game hours (24 real-world minutes), spanning both day and night portions. When a player is in a Snow biome during Rain, it appears as a Blizzard, causing snowfall volume to increase.
Rain does not actually produce new water tiles, does not cause existing water levels to rise, and has no effect on lava or honey tiles, but it does spawn some unique enemies or enemy variants, and certain critters behave differently. Some comical effects include Zombies wearing rain coats, Slimes carrying umbrellas, and Goldfish walking upright on land, using their tail fins to casually shuffle about (swimming Goldfish will exit water and walk, and walking Goldfish will also spawn anew on land).
On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, rain has three different variations; Light Rain, regular Rain, and Monsoon/ Heavy Rain. The heavier the rainfall, the dimmer the sunlight will be, with Monsoon causing noticeable darkness. These variations are only graphical, can be detected with a Weather Radio, and can change multiple times throughout a single downpour.
Other effects include the following:
- There is a +20% Fishing Power bonus in all liquid bodies during Rain.
- Waterleaf blooms.
- Worms spawn frequently in Forest biomes.
- NPCs remain in their houses, as if it were night.
- The player character will squint in blizzards if they are outside
Contents[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Normal Snow biome monsters will continue to spawn during a Blizzard.
- Rain can interfere with a Blood Moon or Solar Eclipse because of the additional enemies that spawn, making certain enemies from those events rarer.
- If Rain coincides with a Blood Moon, walking Goldfish will still turn into Corrupt Goldfish, which do not walk upright in rain like normal goldfish do.
- The Weather Radio will detect if it is raining on surface (regardless of the player's position).
- The rainfall animation is blocked by blocks. This makes no difference to the blooming of Waterleaf, but does prevent the spawning of Worms.
- If a Windy Day occurs at the same time as regular or higher Rain, it will result in a Thunderstorm.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- There was once going to be a "rain accumulation" mechanic, which would make the rain flood holes, bunkers and similar structures, and the player would then have to build systems to get rid of the water. However, this mechanic was later scrapped, for unknown reasons.
- The chance of Rain occurring is permanently 18.2% and does not fluctuate for between 2 minutes and 24 seconds and 24 minutes immediately after world generation.
- Rain's animation stops when the screen is exited in windowed mode (unlike other animations).
- When it is raining and snowing at the same time, the snow animation stops, but not the rain animation.
- Rain Cloud blocks cause a rain effect, which however is entirely unrelated to the Rain event and is purely aesthetic.
- If Rain coincides with a Blood Moon, Rain will appear to be red-colored.
- If the game is exited to the title screen during Rain, the background will show fog. This happens even when going into a new world and exiting again. To remove the effects, the game needs to be closed.
- In old Mobile Versions and Old-gen console versions, the Morning Rain music used to be exclusive through the Tutorial. It has since been implemented into the Desktop version as the Morning Rain theme.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Actual chances for Rain/Blizzard fluctuate irregularly between 1 in 475,200 and roughly 1 in 345,600 per game tick. There are 60 ticks per real-world second, or in-game minute. Throughout a full in-game day, the chance of rain can be anywhere between 18.2% and 25%. This is equivalent to rain occurring every four to five-and-a-half in-game days, or every hour and 36 minutes to 2 hours and 12 minutes in real-time.
- The second condition in
Main.StartRain()is called, which causes the chance to fluctuate, requires the variable
Main.cloudBGactiveto be positive. That variable is set to a random negative value upon world generation and gets increased every tick.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Desktop 1.3.4:
- Fixed edges of screen getting inverted colors during a Blizzard.
- It no longer rains in the Space biome.
- The Blizzard weather event now has a new, unique ambient sound when active.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Fixed Snow sometimes not appearing during Blizzards.
- Improved performance during Blizzards on some machines.
- Desktop 1.3.3:
- Blizzards now have a new visual effect.
- Fixed liquid and rain sounds persisting while the game window is inactive.
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Fixed minor bug with rain sounds.
- Optimized rain performance.
- Slightly reduced chance of rain.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.17: Made changes from Desktop 1.3.3 and 1.3.4.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.1096.2: Made changes from Desktop 1.3.3 and 1.3.4.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.