You want apples? You want carrots? You want pineapples? We got torches.
|Type||Furniture – Light Source|
|Dimensions||1 wide × 1 high|
|Use time||14 Very Fast|
|Tool||Right-click or Pickaxe|
- Internal Tile ID: 4
Torches can be placed on the sides or tops of most blocks, and can be placed on background walls. They can also be placed on the sides of trees and Wooden Beams. In the PC version they can be placed on any type of Platform. A placed Torch can be retrieved by right-clicking on it or by freeing it with a Pickaxe or Drill. When the block a Torch is attached to is broken, the Torch will attach itself to any other block or wall directly adjacent to it. If all adjacent blocks surrounding a Torch are removed (left, right, and bottom), and no wall exists behind it, it drops like any other item.
- 1 Types
- 2 Types list
- 3 Notes
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Crafting
- 6 References
- 7 History
Types[edit | edit source]
Torch[edit | edit source]
Colored Torches[edit | edit source]
Purple, Yellow, Blue, Green, Red, White and Orange Torches can be made by combining standard Torches with Gems. There are eight available colors, one for each of the seven Gem colors, plus the Pink Torch crafted as a regular torch but with Pink Gel. With the exception of their colors and light levels, these function identically to a standard Torch.
Ice Torch[edit | edit source]
Ice Torches are crafted by combining standard torches with Ice Blocks, and give off a pale blue light. The Ice Torch has a slightly different graphic to the rest of the colored torches, and can be used to make Frostburn Arrows.
Demon Torch[edit | edit source]
Demon Torches can be crafted by combining standard torches with Obsidian. They can also be taken from the Ruined Houses in the Underworld, where they occur naturally. They function identically to standard, colored and Ice Torches, except that they cycle smoothly between red, purple, and blue flame colors.
Cursed and Ichor Torches[edit | edit source]
These Torches become available during Hardmode, and emit a bright green or yellow light, respectively. They are unique in that they can be held or placed in liquids and still function normally there. They are crafted by combining standard Torches with Cursed Flames (Corruption only) or Ichor (Crimson only).
Ultrabright Torch[edit | edit source]
Ultrabright Torches cannot be crafted, but sometimes they are sold by Traveling Merchant. They shine brighter than normal torches when held.
Bone Torch [edit | edit source]
Bone Torches are sold by the Skeleton Merchant during the first half of every in-game minute (a real-world second), the time when he is not selling ordinary Torches.
Types list[edit | edit source]
|1, 0.95, 0.8||1 + 1 = 3||10||Standard Torch.|
|0.9, 0, 0.9||3 + 1 = 3||40|
|0.9, 0.9, 0||3 + 1 = 3||40|
|0, 0.1, 1.3||3 + 1 = 3||40||Appears dim.|
|0, 1, 0.1||3 + 1 = 3||40||Can be found naturally in Jungle Shrines.|
|1, 0.1, 0.1||3 + 1 = 3||40|
|1, 0.5, 0||3 + 1 = 3||40||Can be found naturally in Pyramids.|
|1.3, 1.3, 1.3||3 + 1 = 3||1||Brightest torch.|
|1, 0, 1||1 + 1 = 3||16||Can be used to craft Peace Candles.|
|0.7, 0.85, 1||3 + 1 = 3||12||Sometimes found in Ice Chests.|
|0.85, 1, 0.7||33 + 1 = 33||60||Functions under both Water and Lava. Placeable in either. rarity.|
|1.25, 1.25, 0.8||33 + 1 = 33||66||Functions under both Water and Lava. Placeable in either. rarity.|
|0.5-1, 0.3, 1-0.5||3 + 1 = 3||60||Can be found naturally in The Underworld. Cycles color linearly.|
|Rainbow||3 + 1 = 3||1||They cycle through various colors. rarity.|
|0.75, 1.28, 1.2||N/A||60||Sold randomly by Traveling Merchant. Very bright when held, but dimmer when placed.|
|0.95, 0.65, 1.3||N/A||20||Sold by the Skeleton Merchant for 1 during the second half of every minute (equivalent to one real-world second).|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- With the exception of the Cursed Torch and Ichor Torch, Torches do not function under Water. A Torch thrown into Water will not emit light once it submerges, and if a player enters Water with a Torch selected in the Hotbar, the Torch will not be visible and will emit no light. Placed Torches are freed when Water touches them, and drop as items.
- Holding the Auto-Select key (default: Left Shift) with the cursor over empty space will automatically prepare the torches in your inventory, allowing for quick placement or easy access to light.
- White Torches appear to produce the most light of any light source in the game.
- Torches provide more light when placed than they do when held or dropped, with the exception of the Ultrabright.
- Torches are the only item where you can throw (via the stack gets thrown.
- If you use Glowsticks or Flares (though note that glowsticks are thrown by selecting them and then left-clicking, not by pressing
- Despite appearing dim, Blue Torches can reach a respectable distance with the "Trippy" Lighting mode selected, which is extended even farther under the effects of a Night Owl Potion. This can make it useful for exploring Underground Snow biomes.
- While in smart cursor mode, you can only place torches in dark places.
- pausing the game won’t stop the torches from flickering
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Orange Torches were apparently added because of a "really persistent nagging brit" in reference to Youtuber ChippyGaming AKA James Bennett.
- If you tab out of the game window, while the game itself is paused, the torch animation still plays
- If you place a block above a torch, the torch will lower. If there is no block above it, the torch gets higher. This can be seen best using a trapdoor and opening/closing it,
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in (standard Torch)[edit | edit source]
Used in (Ice Torch)[edit | edit source]
Used in (Pink Torch)[edit | edit source]
Used in (Cursed Torch)[edit | edit source]
Used in (Ichor Torch)[edit | edit source]
Used in (Demon Torch)[edit | edit source]
Used in (Rainbow Torch)[edit | edit source]
Used in (Ultrabright Torch)[edit | edit source]
Used in (Bone Torch)[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- www.reddit.com ➝ thread: I am Redigit - Creator of Terraria. Ask Me Anything! ➝ question: What made you add such a fantastic item like the Orange torch (asked by user chippygaming) ➝ answer: This really persistent nagging brit. :P
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Torches can now be placed on actuated tiles.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Fixed a Torch duplication bug.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Demon Torches can now be crafted.
- Introduced Rainbow, Bone and Pink Torches.
- Can now be placed on any Platforms.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Fixed torches being able to be placed on wrong sides of slopes (that leaves them in air).
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Introduced Ultrabright Torches.
- Fixed exploit where you could throw torches to activate Hotbar items without costs.
- Fixed issue where Ice Torch would not emit light when thrown on the ground.
- Fixed torch duplication bug.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Torches are now animated.
- Updated all Colored Torch sprites.
- Can now be placed on background walls.
- Introduced Ice, Orange, and Ichor Torches.
- Desktop 1.1:
- Can now be toggled on and off by Wire.
- Introduced Colored, Cursed, and Demon varieties.
- Desktop 1.0.5: Dropped Torches no longer emit light underwater.
- Desktop 1.0.1: Torches now work correctly when placed on wooden platforms.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.