Rod of Discord
|Use time||20 (Very fast)|
|Tooltip||Teleports you to the position of the mouse|
Teleports you to the position of the cursor
|Debuff tooltip||Using the Rod of Discord will take life|
|Duration|| 6 seconds |
Using the Rod of Discord costs no mana or ammunition; however, each use inflicts the Chaos State debuff on the player for 6 / 9 seconds. The debuff causes the player to lose 1/7th / 1/6th of their maximum health if they use the Rod again while the debuff is active.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The target location must be at least 3 tiles high and 2 tiles wide. Pressing the ⚒ Use / Attack button will always place the player's feet at the cursor position. Thus, in order to teleport into a 3-tile-high opening, the player must aim at the floor. Unsuccessful teleports play the same sound, but do not inflict the debuff.
- Attempting to teleport into the Jungle Temple before Plantera is defeated will not work. It will work after Plantera is defeated, even allowing the player to enter a locked Jungle Temple without using up a Temple Key.
- While teleporting cancels fall damage, it does not reset the wing flight timer.
- Despite causing no damage to enemies, the Rod of Discord can be placed on a Weapon Rack.
- Using the Rod of Discord when moving maintains the player's movement speed.
- Using it does not cancel the Shroomite armor's stealth.
- If the player simply taps the ⚒ Use / Attack button with the Rod of Discord on the Mobile version, they will be teleported slightly right of the spot where they were standing (and above if blocks are in the way or furniture is to the right). Using the thumbpad can see mixed results if the aim mode is set to Aim & Use rather than Aim Only.
- The damage incurred by Chaos State may be dodged with a Black Belt/Master Ninja Gear or Brain of Confusion.
- It is always negated in Godmode, like all other damage.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- If this item is used correctly, it has the potential to become one of the best items for maneuvering the map. For instance, it is very useful for capturing Truffle Worms, as they can be caught almost immediately upon materializing. It is also useful for maintaining high movement speed, e.g. on fast mounts, by surpassing obstacles that would otherwise require slowing down.
- This item is valuable for dodging high-damage attacks, such as the Moon Lord's Phantasmal Deathray, contact damage from the Dungeon Guardian, or the Empress of Light's Ethereal Lance during her "enraged" state.
- While it is one of the rarest items in the game, it can be obtained immediately after the start of Hardmode without requiring defeating any additional bosses.
- Since this item is one of the few ways to deal self-damage on command, it can be used with the Shrimpy Truffle or the Panic Necklace to activate the speed boost. Furthermore, it allows easily getting the Frequent Flyer achievement.
- Increasing the player's view, then quickly switching to the Rod of Discord and using it, allows teleporting larger distances. There are multiple ways to increase the view range:
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Dying from teleporting during the Chaos State will display unique death messages:
- "<Player name> didn't materialize"
- "<Player name>'s legs appeared where his head should be." (male character)
- "<Player name>'s legs appeared where her head should be." (female character)
- This is the only death message that changes based on the character's gender.
- The Chaos State debuff was introduced to combat the problem of being able to use the Rod of Discord repeatedly, granting the user an arguably overpowered method of transportation or evasion.
- This is one of the only ways in the game the player can have negative health. Verify
- In earlier mobile versions, using the Rod of Discord would instantly kill its user, and the death message would read "Structures".
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.4.1: It is no longer possible to teleport large distances by increasing the view range using a Golf Ball.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Now has an increased drop rate of
0.25*1/400 (0.25%) in Expert Mode.
- Now leaves a trail when teleporting.
- Now has an increased drop rate of
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Teleporting now quickly shifts the viewpoint instead of instantly setting it to the destination point.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Chaos State damage reduced from one sixth to one seventh of user's total health, and duration decreased from 8 to 6 seconds.
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Chaos State damage reduced from one fifth to one sixth of user's total health, and duration decreased from 10 to 8 seconds.
- Rod of Discord works properly when gravity is flipped.
- Using a Rod of Discord releases all grapples.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Inflicts Chaos State upon use to deter teleport spamming.
- Can no longer be used to enter a locked Jungle Temple (unless the Lihzahrd Walls at target location are removed).
- Using Rod of Discord near the end of the map will no longer cause you to crash.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: The Rod of Discord now properly drops.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.