Join The Fan Lab, a private Fandom research community for users in the US and UK where you will be asked to share your opinions on all things gaming and entertainment! Click here to see if you qualify
|Placeable||(1 wide × 1 high)|
|Use time||15 (Very fast)|
|Tooltip||Can be climbed on|
Ropes are placeable items that primarily provide quick vertical mobility. They can be placed adjacent to blocks in any direction, or in midair where background walls are present. Once placed, Ropes are used by pressing ▲ Up or ▼ Down while moving over them. Streamers and Chains operate identically to Rope, but cannot be crafted into Rope Coils.
All ropes are acquired in different ways:
- Rope can be found randomly in Chests and Pots, as a bonus drop from slimes, or purchased from the Merchant and Skeleton Merchant for
- Vine Rope is acquired by destroying vines while the Guide to Plant Fiber Cordage is equipped.
- Silk Rope is crafted from one Silk at the Loom.
- Web Rope is crafted from one Cobweb by hand.
Visually, the player appears to move along Rope using a mechanical tool with wheels, as though they were riding a rail. This tool appears automatically when using Rope, does not exist as a separate item, and is available from the beginning of the game.
Vertical movement speed on Rope equals that of a free fall, though moving down via Rope and hitting the ground will not cause fall damage. Horizontal movement is also possible, by placing adjacent Rope horizontally, but is much slower. Rope can be placed atop existing placed Rope, which will extend the total length of the rope downward, without the player actually having to be at the bottom of the Rope column.
All Rope types can be crafted into their respective Rope Coils, consumable items useful for placing Ropes in inaccessible locations.
Types[edit | edit source]
Internal Item ID: 965
Internal Item ID: 2996
Internal Item ID: 3077
Internal Item ID: 3078
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The ascent speed on rope is 41 mph, the descent speed is 51 mph, and the horizontal speed is about 5 mph (although it is listed as 0 mph in the game, it is about 7.55 feet per second).
- All varieties of rope include a "+3 range" attribute that allows the item to be used from further away. This does not affect the usage of placed ropes.
- A glitch in the causes rope to multiply downwards at no extra rope cost if an eighth piece of rope is added to a vertical string of seven pieces of rope. The multiplication is finite, however, and it will eventually stop. version
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Rope works very well for building hellevators because players descend at the same speed as free-fall, and ascend fairly quickly as well. It is very easy to obtain and can be placed at the top of the hellevator over and over again to bring the Rope all the way down. Note that placed items like Torches might interrupt the placement.
- The player can also place Rope even if the top is not anchored to anything, and even extend it skyward. This can be used to easily access Floating Islands: Build a Rope column upwards while climbing skyward. Similarly, Rope can be used to quickly ascend to the surface when exploring the depths of the Ocean.
- Flying into a Rope and continuing to move on the Rope will maintain the velocity of flight.
- Making Silk Rope instead of Web Rope is more resource-efficient: While 30 Web Ropes require 10 Cobwebs, 30 Silk Ropes only require 7 Cobwebs (crafted into Silk).
- Converting all Ropes into coils when possible will allow carrying ten times as much Rope, and they can be crafted back into normal Rope if necessary.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Snake Charmer's Flute, an item providing a similar method of mobility
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Range increased from +2 to +3.
- Introduced new varieties of rope: Web Rope, Silk Rope, and Vine Rope.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.