|AI Type||Caster AI|
|Banner||Rune Wizard Banner|
- Internal NPC ID: 172
“Tim's more powerful and much better-looking older brother. He, too, prefers the heat, but not excessively.
— The Bestiary
The Rune Wizard is a rare Hardmode caster-type enemy that is found in the lower Cavern layer. Upon spawning, he will proceed to fire magical projectiles at the player that penetrate terrain, similar to the Fire Imp's Burning Spheres. However, unlike Burning Spheres, the Rune Wizard's projectiles cannot be destroyed with weapons. The Rune Wizard will teleport to a new location after firing 8 projectiles in random intervals. He will always drop the Rune Hat and Rune Robe upon death.
It is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Rune Wizard can only spawn below a certain depth level. This level can be determined by adding the absolute depths of the bottom of the underground layer and the bottom of the Underworld, and dividing that by 2. Due the randomized world generation, these values will be different for every world.
- In general, areas with lava are a good indicator of where the Rune Wizard will spawn.
- Despite making no attempt to touch players as part of his attacks, the Rune Wizard inflicts extreme contact damage, enough to kill most players in around 3 hits. His spells deal far less damage, but he can nonetheless be very dangerous to players with weak Hardmode items, especially if he spawns in an unreachable place.
- The Rune Wizard inflicts the second most contact damage of all enemies, and the fourth most damage in the game. His contact damage is as much damage as the Pirate Captain's cannonballs, Skeleton Sniper's sniper bullets and Clown's bombs, fourth to the Martian Saucer's death ray (berserk), the Dungeon Guardian, and the Empress of Light if fought during day.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- An easy way to fight the Rune Wizard is to continually attack him. This will essentially paralyze him, preventing his attacks and teleportation. Lighting him on fire can be a very effective way to fight him.
- Due to the extreme contact damage, it is easiest to fight the Rune Wizard using ranged weapons. However, due to the narrow caves where he spawns, this can be difficult.
- Minions and sentries, provided they assail the Rune Wizard, can prove to be a great way to combat the enemy due to their ability to effectively paralyze the enemy.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Rune Wizard can be considered the Hardmode version of Tim. The vanity items dropped closely resemble the same items dropped by Tim. The two also have similar spawn depths, attack patterns and drop unique items only obtainable by defeating them. Also, according to the Bestiary, the Rune Wizard is Tim's older brother.
- Due to the Rune Wizard's extremely low spawn rates and its spawn location requirements, it can easily be considered the rarest enemy in the game.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Can now drop its own respective banner.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.