|Environment||Underground – Cavern|
|AI Type||Caster AI|
|Damage||200 / 400 (melee)|
90 / 180 (magic)
|Max Life||600 / 1200|
|KB Resist||70% / 73%|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Internal NPC ID: 172
The Rune Wizard is a rare Hardmode Caster type enemy that is found in the lower Cavern layer. Upon spawning it will proceed to fire magical projectiles at the player that penetrate terrain, similar to that of the Fire Imp's. However, unlike the Fire Imp's projectiles, the Rune Wizard's cannot be deflected with weapons. Rune Wizards will teleport to a new location after firing 8 projectiles in random intervals, or after receiving damage. It will always drop the Rune Hat and Rune Robe upon death.
It is one of the few enemies that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Rune Wizards can only spawn below a certain depth level. This level is below -795 on small worlds, -1323 on medium worlds, or -1718 on large worlds.
- Despite making no attempt to touch players as part of its attacks, the Rune Wizard inflicts extreme contact damage, enough to kill most players in around 3 hits. Its spells deal far less damage, but it can nonetheless be very dangerous to players with weak Hardmode items, especially if it spawns in an unreachable place.
- The Rune Wizard inflicts the second most contact damage of all enemies, and the third most damage in the game. Its contact damage is as much damage as the Pirate Captain's cannonballs, Skeleton Sniper's sniper bullets and Clown bombs, third to the Martian Saucer's death ray (berserk) and the Dungeon Guardian.
- The Rune Wizard seems to be like a Hardmode version of Tim. The vanity items dropped closely resemble the same items dropped by Tim. The two also have similar attack patterns and drop unique items only obtainable by defeating them.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- An easy way to fight this foe is to continually attack it. This will essentially paralyze it, preventing his attacks and teleportation. Lighting it on fire can be a very effective way to fight it.
- Due to the extreme contact damage, it is easiest to fight the Rune Wizard using ranged weapons. However, due to the narrow caves where it spawns, this can be difficult.
- The Piranha Gun is very effective against the Rune Wizard since the piranha follows teleports.
- The Megashark is extremely effective at keeping the Rune Wizard paralyzed due to their high rate of fire.
- An effective but extremely dangerous way to kill the Rune Wizard is to wear full Turtle Armor and run into the Rune Wizard 2-3 times until it dies, but a player may need to consume a Greater Healing Potion or Super Healing Potion.
- Summons, provided they assail the Rune Wizard, can prove to be a very effective way to combat the enemy. The Imp Staff is especially useful, due to its added ability to burn enemies, which can paralyze the Rune Wizard long enough to set up an attack.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Can now drop its own respective banner.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.