|Use time||15 (Very Fast)|
|Tooltip||'This is a good idea!'|
|Internal Item ID: 266|
The Sandgun is a ranged weapon that can use Sand, Pearlsand, Ebonsand, or Crimsand as its ammunition, which are affected by gravity. When the sand projectile hits any object, it will turn into a clump of Sand Blocks that will gather on the ground.
The Sandgun deals 29 damage, instead of the listed 30, because it uses Sand Blocks as ammo, which have a default damage value of -1.
In contrast to most non-explosive weapons, it is possible for a player firing the Sandgun to hit themselves and cause damage. Falling sand will also cause damage to any and all players.
Its best Modifier is Unreal.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Sandgun can often create sandy messes, and can also block the player from being able to land another hit on an enemy. Using it to fight enemies can become difficult.
- The falling sand block can't land on various things, like Saplings and Minecart Tracks. Instead, the Sand Block disappears. The same will happen if the sand is fired upwards into the bottom of a Platform.
- The cost of reforging is surprisingly low, despite all the hard work required to craft it.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Sandgun is affected by boosts that reduce ammo usage, making it possible to create more sand than what was used as ammo. For sand farming, start with the Ammo Box and/or Ammo Reservation Potion, then if possible add an armor that provides ammo reduction; before Hardmode that will be Necro Armor. In Hardmode, the best ammo reduction is shared by Adamantite Armor (with Mask), the Vortex Breastplate, and Hallowed Armor (with Helmet). The Shroomite Breastplate, Chlorophyte Helmet or full Titan armor all match Necro Armor. Note that farming a full stack of sand will fill a large part of the screen.
- The Sandgun is incredibly strong for when it can be obtained, outperforming the Phoenix Blaster in raw damage. However, the resulting sand can impede the player. Consider using a Featherfall Potion and shooting downwards to avoid the resulting sand.
- Because of this, using the Sandgun to fight against the Wall of Flesh can be effective because the boss forces the player to continually move away. However, fallen sand can disrupt placed stairs, meaning a hell bridge made of platforms might have to be repaired after the battle.
- While regular sand can only hit one enemy before falling, the falling sand ball will deal considerable damage to enemies it strikes as it falls.
- It can function as a more reliable (albeit slower to spread) version of Thrown Water due to its ability to shoot sand of all types.
- The ability to place sand can be useful in blocking tunnels or filling lava-filled gaps from a distance.
- Shooting the Gun downward while on the ground will cause the player to automatically rise one block. This can be handy in reaching Space with low effort.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Sandgun resembles the Illegal Gun Parts that are used to craft it. This is because when the Sandgun was introduced, it was the only item to use Illegal Gun Parts in its recipe.
- The Sandgun is the only weapon crafted at a Furnace.
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- 1.1: Damage and firing speed improved from 10 and 19 to 30 and 15, respectively, can now fire Pearlsand and Ebonsand Blocks.
- 1.0.5: Introduced.