- This article is about the event. For the Items, see Sandstorm in a Balloon and Sandstorm in a Bottle.
A Sandstorm is an event that occurs randomly in the desert. During this event, a few enemies often found in the Underground Desert appear on the surface, as well as Angry Tumblers, Sand Elementals, and Sand Sharks. If the player is standing in the desert while this event is active, the Mighty Wind debuff will be inflicted on the player if he/she is not behind a background wall.
Sandstorms are one of the few events to not restrict other enemy spawns, meaning that enemies found within the biome you fight in may spawn as well.
During a sandstorm, the background will turn a dusty yellow and a vignette will be applied to the player's screen. Particles of sand can also be seen flying across the screen. The effects are amplified with Color and White lighting, but using Retro or Trippy will remove much of the background dust, which may be resource intensive on some computers.
Content[edit | edit source]
Both Pre-Hardmode and Hardmode:
Hardmode Hallowed Desert:
Hardmode Corrupt Desert:
Hardmode Crimson Desert:
From Sand Elemental:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Sandstorms are universal events; this means that if one desert has a sandstorm, all deserts will have a sandstorm.
- Sandstorms only occur in Deserts. The background will appear as normal everywhere else.
- They can also occur in player-made deserts.
- The particle color changes depending on the type of sand in the desert (Such as Ebonsand, Pearlsand, or Crimsand)
- A Sandstorm has a 1 in 518,400 chance of occurring per game tick (there are 60 ticks per real-world second.) Therefore, approximately, there is a 1/8640 chance of one happening every second, and a 2/13 chance of one happening every in-game day.
- Shark Fins dropped by Bone Biters will appear dark or black (similarly to the different color gel from Slimes)
- Sandstorms come and go without any notification, so to experience one start to finish, the desert will have to be checked frequently.
- A Sandstorm's length is determined by the following formula:
3600 * (8 + <random decimal from 0.0 to 1.0> * 16)
- Which means that a Sandstorm lasts from 28800 to 86400 ticks, or 8 to 24 minutes real-time.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Since the Sandstorm only occurs in the surface layer of the desert, the player can fly over it.
See Also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.3: Introduced.