This is a Town NPC. A House may be required in order for it to appear.
Santa Claus is a Hardmode / pre-Hardmode NPC vendor that arrives after the Frost Legion has been defeated, but only during the Christmas season ( December 15–December 31 / December 1–January 15), after which he dies. He sells many Christmas-themed decorations and vanities during this time.
Santa Claus will defend himself against nearby Enemies by throwing baubles.
- "Ho ho ho, and a bottle of... Egg Nog!"
- "What? You thought I wasn't real?"
- "Care to bake me some cookies?"
During a Party:
- "Come now, you didn't think I only celebrated on Christmas did you?"
- Christmas can be "activated" by setting your computer's date to a day between December 15th and 31st, and on the Console version, disconnecting from Xbox Live/PSN and changing the console time. On mobile you should disconnect from automatic date/time updates, and set the time to any day in December, however this does not work for some devices, and for the 3DS version, go to System Settings and set the date there. However, if you wish to not change your device's time to avoid messing up scheduled programs, you can use applications such as RunAsDate to launch Terraria with a changed time/date.
- Changing the time back to normal will cause him to die at the next sunrise.
- Santa Claus sells 39 items at one time, which is more than any other NPC excluding the post-Golem Tavernkeep, who has 40 items available at one time.
- You cannot buy back items sold to this NPC since the last item slot cannot hold any sold items.
- In the Console version, he has a description in the housing section saying "A jolly old fellow".
- "Ho ho ho, and a bottle of... Egg Nog!" is a reference to "Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum," from the book Treasure Island
- The Pirate also makes this reference, saying, "Yo ho ho and a bottle of... Blinkroots!"
- He has the least number of possible names, having only one.
- His inventory consists of mostly Christmas decorations, which means he is essential for putting a Christmas touch to your House.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Now attacks enemies in sight by throwing baubles.
- Sprite updated.
- Mobile 1.2.10061: Santa now requires the Frost Legion to be defeated before he'll spawn.