Shadow chests can spawn on the ground close to the underworld. (note: the background shown is not
the underworld background.)
The Shadow Chest is a storage item found only in The Underworld, generally on top of or within Ruined Houses, and contains rare items. All Shadow Chests are initially locked, requiring a Shadow Key to open. A single Shadow Key will open unlimited Shadow Chests (unlike Golden Keys, which are consumed upon use). Each Shadow Chest contains one high-tier item of rarity, along with other standard Underground loot.
Like all other naturally-occurring Chests, Shadow Chests can be freed with a Pickaxe or Drill after being emptied, and picked up by the player for placement and use elsewhere.
The Shadow Chest always contain one primary item and a few common items.
- Shadow Chests can contain potions like Lifeforce or Teleportation Potion, which require Hardmode materials to craft. Looting Shadow Chests effectively makes them available pre-Hardmode.
- Shadow Chest Mimics will appear as a locked Shadow Chest, rather than an unlocked one, making them harder to spot.
- The Drax can be found in Shadow Chests, making it accessible in pre-Hardmode and giving players a significant mining advantage.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Can now be renamed along with other placed storage items.
- Console 1.06: Can now be renamed along with other placed storage items.
- Console 1.2: Now requires a Pickaxe or Drill instead of a Hammer to pick up.
- Mobile 22.214.171.124:
- The Hellwing Bow can now be found in Shadow Chests.
- Can now be renamed along with other placed storage items.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Now requires a Pickaxe or Drill instead of a Hammer to pick up.