Shadow chests can spawn on the ground close to the underworld. (note: the background shown is not
the underworld background.)
The Shadow Chest is a storage item found only in The Underworld, generally on top of or within Ruined Houses, and contains rare items.
All Shadow Chests are initially locked, requiring a Shadow Key to open. The key is not consumed when used. Each Shadow Chest contains one high-tier item of rarity, along with other standard Underground loot.
Like all other naturally-occurring Chests, Shadow Chests can be freed with a Pickaxe or Drill after being emptied, and picked up by the player for placement and use elsewhere.
The Shadow Chest always contains one primary item, may contain one or more secondary items on the Desktop version, and always contains a few common items. The bars and bullets it can contain will depend on the ore types available in the current world.
- Shadow Chests can contain Lifeforce and Teleportation potions, which are unavailable for crafting before Hardmode.
- Mimics can appear as a locked Shadow Chest, making them harder to spot without a Lifeform Analyzer/Metal Detector or their upgrades.
- Gold Chests that spawn within 250 blocks of the bottom of the world will generate the same common items as Shadow Chests.
- It seems that there is a much higher chance that Treasure Magnets appear in Shadow Chests than other primary loot, often making fishing for Obsidian Crates a necessity to obtain missing weapons, even in large worlds.
- Mimics can never spawn as an unlocked Shadow Chest. Unlocking every Shadow Chest during pre-Hardmode will give them away easily in Hardmode.
- The Drax can be found in Shadow Chests on the , making it accessible in pre-Hardmode and giving players a significant mining advantage. version
- Desktop 1.2.3: Can now be renamed along with other placed storage items.
- Console 1.06: Can now be renamed along with other placed storage items.
- Console 1.02: Now requires a Pickaxe or Drill instead of a Hammer to pick up.
- Mobile 22.214.171.124:
- Drax no longer appear in Shadow Chests.
- The Hellwing Bow can now be found in Shadow Chests.
- Can now be renamed along with other placed storage items.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Now requires a Pickaxe or Drill instead of a Hammer to pick up.