All Shadow Chests are initially locked, requiring a Shadow Key to open. The key is not consumed when used. Each Shadow Chest contains one high-tier item of rarity, along with other standard Underground loot.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Loot[edit | edit source]
The Shadow Chest always contains one primary item, may contain one or more secondary items on the Desktop version, and always contains a few common items. The bars and bullets it can contain will depend on the ore types available in the current world.
|Flower of Fire|
|10%||1 in 10||Demonic Hellcart|
|10%||1 in 10||Ornate Shadow Key|
|10%||1 in 10||Slice of Hell Cake|
|33.33%||1 in 3||Dynamite||1|
|50%||1 in 2||Gold Bar||15-29|
|50%||1 in 2||Hellfire Arrow||50-74|
|50%||1 in 2||Restoration Potion||15-20|
|75%||3 in 4||Spelunker Potion||1-2|
|Mana Regeneration Potion|
|Obsidian Skin Potion|
|Magic Power Potion|
|66.67%||2 in 3||Gravitation Potion||1-2|
|Water Walking Potion|
|Obsidian Skin Potion|
|66.67%||2 in 3||Potion of Return||1-2|
|50%||1 in 2||Torch||15-29|
|50%||1 in 2||Gold Coin||2-4|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Shadow Chests can contain Lifeforce and Teleportation potions, which are unavailable for crafting before Hardmode.
- Mimics can appear as a locked Shadow Chest, making them harder to spot without a Lifeform Analyzer/Metal Detector or their upgrades.
- Gold Chests that spawn within 250 blocks of the bottom of the world will generate the same common items as Shadow Chests.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Mimics can never spawn as an unlocked Shadow Chest. Unlocking every Shadow Chest during pre-Hardmode will give them away easily in Hardmode.
- The Drax can be found in Shadow Chests on the , making it accessible in pre-Hardmode and giving players a significant mining advantage. version
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Can now contain Treasure Magnet, Demonic Hellcart, Ornate Shadow Key, Potion of Return, and Slice of Hell Cake
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: The Hellwing Bow can now be found in Shadow Chests.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Can now be renamed along with other placed storage items.
- Desktop 1.0.6: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: The Hellwing Bow can now be found in Shadow Chests. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: The Hellwing Bow can now be found in Shadow Chests. ()
- Console 1.06: Can now be renamed along with other placed storage items.
- Console 1.02: Now requires a Pickaxe or Drill instead of a Hammer to pick up.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced with changes up to Desktop 188.8.131.52.
- Mobile 184.108.40.206:
- Drax no longer appear in Shadow Chests.
- The Hellwing Bow can now be found in Shadow Chests.
- Can now be renamed along with other placed storage items.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Now requires a Pickaxe or Drill instead of a Hammer to pick up.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced. Contains some items previously dropped by Underworld enemies and is picked up with a Pickaxe or Drill.