All Shadow Chests are initially locked, requiring a Shadow Key to open. The key is not consumed when used. Each Shadow Chest contains one high-tier item of rarity, along with other standard Underground loot.
Loot[edit | edit source]
Each Shadow Chest will always contain one primary item, and can potentially contain multiple secondary items, or none at all. In addition, it can contain one or more common items.
|Flower of Fire||1|
|Ornate Shadow Key||1|
|Slice of Hell Cake||1|
|Gold Bar(in worlds with Gold)|
Platinum Bar(in worlds with Platinum)
|Silver Bullet(in worlds with Silver)|
Tungsten Bullet(in worlds with Tungsten)
|Mana Regeneration Potion|
|Obsidian Skin Potion|
|Magic Power Potion|
|Water Walking Potion|
|Obsidian Skin Potion|
|Potion of Return|
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Shadow Chests can contain Lifeforce and Teleportation Potions, which are unavailable for crafting before Hardmode.
- Mimics can appear as a locked Shadow Chest, making them harder to spot without a Lifeform Analyzer/Metal Detector or their upgrades.
- Gold Chests that spawn within 250 blocks of the bottom of the world will generate the same common items as Shadow Chests.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Mimics can never spawn as an unlocked Shadow Chest. Unlocking every Shadow Chest during pre-Hardmode will give them away easily in Hardmode.
- The Drax can be found in Shadow Chests on the version, making it accessible in pre-Hardmode and giving players a significant mining advantage.
- Since Treasure Magnets appear twice as often in Shadow Chests as other primary loot, it is possible that even a large world will not contain all weapons. Missing weapons can be obtained from Obsidian Lock Boxes, which are found in fished Obsidian Crates.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.4.1: Shadow Chests are now more numerous in world generation, with the limit increasing from 7–10 to 10–15.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Can now contain Treasure Magnet, Demonic Hellcart, Ornate Shadow Key, Potion of Return, and Slice of Hell Cake.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: The Hellwing Bow can now be found in Shadow Chests.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Can now be renamed along with other placed storage items.
- Desktop 1.0.6: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: The Hellwing Bow can now be found in Shadow Chests. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: The Hellwing Bow can now be found in Shadow Chests. ()
- Console 1.06: Can now be renamed along with other placed storage items.
- Console 1.02: Now requires a pickaxe or drill instead of a hammer to pick up.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced with changes up to Desktop 188.8.131.52.
- Mobile 184.108.40.206:
- Drax no longer appear in Shadow Chests.
- The Hellwing Bow can now be found in Shadow Chests.
- Can now be renamed along with other placed storage items.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Now requires a pickaxe or drill instead of a hammer to pick up.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced. Contains some items previously dropped by Underworld enemies and is picked up with a pickaxe or drill.