The Shadow Chest is a storage item found only in The Underworld, generally on top of or within Ruined Houses, and contains rare items. All Shadow Chests are initially locked, requiring a Shadow Key to open. A single Shadow Key will open unlimited Shadow Chests (unlike Golden Keys, which are consumed upon use). Each Shadow Chest contains one high-tier item of rarity, along with other standard Underground loot.
Loot[edit | edit source]
The Shadow Chest always contain one primary item and a few common items.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Dark Lance, Flower of Fire, Flamelash, Sunfury and Hellwing Bow can only be found in Shadow Chests.
- Shadow Chests can contain potions like Lifeforce or Teleportation Potion, which require Hardmode materials to craft. Looting Shadow Chests effectively makes them available pre-Hardmode.
- Shadow Chest Mimics will appear as a locked Shadow Chest, rather than an unlocked one, making them harder to spot.
- The Drax can be found in Shadow Chests, making it accessible in Pre-Hardmode as well and giving players a significant mining advantage.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: The Hellwing Bow is now found within Shadow Chests.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Placed storage items can now be renamed.
- Desktop 1.0.6: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.