Shadow chests can spawn on the ground close to the underworld. (note: the background below is not
the underworld background.)
The Shadow Chest is a storage item found only in the Underworld, generally on top of or within Ruined Houses, and contains rare items. All Shadow Chests are initially locked, requiring a Shadow Key to open. A single Shadow Key will open unlimited Shadow Chests (unlike Golden Keys, which are consumed upon use). Each Shadow Chest contains one high-tier item of "Orange" rarity, along with other standard Underground loot.
Like all other naturally-occurring Chests, Shadow Chests can be freed with a Pickaxe or Drill after being emptied, and picked up by the player for placement and use elsewhere.
The Shadow Chest always contain one primary item and a few common items.
- The Dark Lance, Flower of Fire, Flamelash, Sunfury and Hellwing Bow can only be found in Shadow Chests.
- Can contain potions like Lifeforce, Heartreach and other hardmode potions that are accessible in pre-hardmode.
- Shadow Chest Mimics will appear as a locked Shadow Chest, rather than an unlocked one, making them harder to spot.
- 184.108.40.206: The Hellwing Bow is now found within shadow chests.
- 1.2.3: Placed storage items can now be renamed.