|Buff tooltip||A magical orb that provides light|
This article is about the light pet summon item. For the environment object, see Shadow Orb
The Shadow Orb's behavior when moving. Its height can be controlled using ▲ Up
and ▼ Down
The Shadow Orb is a light pet item that summons a slow-moving sphere which follows the player around and emits dim, purple light. The orb can move through solid objects and liquids unhindered, but moves very slowly, causing it to fall behind when the player is moving quickly. If it falls far enough behind, it will teleport to the player's location. It has a
20*1/5 (20%) chance of dropping from destroyed Shadow Orbs, but it can also be acquired by looting Corrupt Crates, which are obtained by fishing in the Corruption.
The Crimson counterpart to the Shadow Orb is the Crimson Heart.
- The orb's position can be somewhat controlled using the ▲ Up and ▼ Down keys, allowing the player to reorient the orb directly above or below them respectively.
- This will cause the orb to catch up slightly faster, if it is lagging behind.
- The orb will emit purple light even if dyed.
- When paired with any color Acid Dye, the Orb will have stripes in the color but it will be buggy, as parts of, or even the whole Orb itself, can disappear.
- It can be paired with Reflective Gold Dye to make the Shadow Orb appear similarly to the Orb of Light from older versions of the game.
- Twilight Dye can render the orb almost completely invisible.
The Shadow Orb when it was still an Orb of Light.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Renamed from Orb of Light to Shadow Orb.
- Item sprite updated from to .
- Buff sprite updated from to .
- No longer requires mana to use (previously needed 40).
- Buff no longer expires.
- Desktop 1.0.6:
- Movement speed of Orb was reduced.
- Light intensity was reduced from 100% to 65%.
- Using the item now gives the player a buff instead of treating it like a spell.
- Consequently, this causes the item to be automatically used when pressing the buff hotkey.