|Damage||53 / 55 Magic|
|Mana||7 / 6|
|Use time||16 Very Fast|
|Tooltip||Creates a shadow beam that bounces off walls|
- Shadow Beam (friendly)
The Shadowbeam Staff is a Hardmode, post-Plantera magic weapon that is similar to the Necromancer's standard attack, creating a purple beam that travels instantaneously to its maximum distance (approximately 108 tiles), bounces off blocks, is unaffected by gravity, and emits a moderate amount of light for its entire length. It has a 5% / 7.5% (1/20 / 1/13) chance to drop from Necromancers in the post-Plantera Dungeon.
The Shadowbeam Staff can travel far and pierce unlimited enemies, but for each enemy struck, the beam loses 20% of its power (that is, damage). It is still useful against segmented enemies like the Destroyer (each segment counts separately), but only the first few hits for each shot will do significant damage. Also, each segment or enemy will only take damage once no matter how many times the beam bounces to hit them again.
Its best modifier is Mythical.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Shadowbeam Staff is very effective in the Dungeon or other enclosed underground areas, where the beam can ricochet multiple times and pin down targets. Its ability to quickly light up an entire room can also help in navigating these areas.
- The Shadowbeam Staff is capable of draining your mana very quickly. Nebula or Spectral armor, Mana Flower, Magic Cuffs, or Celestial Cuffs, may help slow mana consumption.
- Using the Shadowbeam Staff with Spectre armor (with the Spectre Hood) can easily keep you alive when used correctly, even in PvP situations.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It has a very similar appearance to a staff model that appears in World of Warcraft.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Damage decreased from 55 to 53.
- Mana cost increased from 6 to 7.
- Drop chance increased from 2.5% to 5%.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Beams now have diminishing returns.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.