Shields are a type of defensive accessory. The Shields shown on this page slightly increase the player's Defense, grant immunity to Knockback, and/or synergize with the Brand of the Inferno and the Sergeant United Shield.
Types[edit | edit source]
In Pre-Hardmode, the Brand of the Inferno is not available, but Shields can still be useful for their buffs and defense boosts. Later in Hardmode, the Brand of the Inferno can be used to synergize with them, however.
The Gold Chests in the Dungeon, provides immunity to knockback and 1 defense. This can be combined with the Obsidian Skull at a Tinkerer's Workshop to craft an , which provides 1 more defense (for a total of 2), keeps the knockback immunity, and also grants immunity to Burning., found in
In Expert mode, the is dropped by the Eye of Cthulhu's Treasure Bag. It allows the player to dash, and dashing into enemies will deal damage to them and give the player invincibility frames. It also grants the player 2 defense. However, it does not grant knockback immunity.
In Hardmode, many more options are available, and the Pre-Hardmode Shields can be used in the Ankh Shield.
The Ankh Charm, and, along with the abilities from the Obsidian Shield, grants immunity to most debuffs and an additional 2 defense (for a total of 4). Like the Obsidian Shield, it synergizes with the Brand of the Inferno, obtained later on from the Old One's Army event.is crafted by combining the Obsidian Shield with the
Back at the Dungeon, the dropped by Paladins grants knockback immunity, but also absorbs damage taken by nearby players on the same team in Multiplayer. This can be combined with Flesh Knuckles or a Frozen Turtle Shell at a Tinkerer's Workshop to craft the and , respectively. Both the Paladin's Shield and the Frozen Shield grant 6 defense to the wearer, while the Hero Shield grants 7. All three of these Shields can synergize with the Brand of the Inferno and the Sergeant United Shield.
While not an item in itself, the set bonus of the makes a shield-like visual effect and enables dashing as well as a Thorns-like effect. Dashing into enemies or getting hit will use up charges in the form of the spikes on the shield, which stack up to 3. This set bonus will not synergize with the Brand of the Inferno or the Sergeant United Shield
Summoner Shields[edit | edit source]
These Shields do not grant the usual boosts from Shields, but provide boosts to Summon weapons and are dropped by the Ogre during the Old One's Army event. The and allow the player to summon an additional sentry and increase minion damage. The Squire's Shield synergizes with the Brand of the Inferno and the Sergeant United Shield, but the Huntress's Buckler does not.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Added the Hero Shield and Frozen Shield.
- Desktop 1.3.4:
- Added Huntress's Buckler and Squire's Shield.
- Most Shields now synergize with the Brand of the Inferno.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Added the Shield of Cthulhu.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Sprites and graphics of the Cobalt, Obsidian, and Paladin's Shields updated.
- Desktop 1.2: Added Ankh and Paladin's Shields.
- Desktop 1.1: Added the Obsidian Shield.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced the Cobalt Shield.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Added the Shield of Cthulhu. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Added the Shield of Cthulhu. ()
- Console 1.06: Sprites and graphics updated to match Desktop 1.2.3.
- Console 1.02: Added Ankh and Paladin's Shields.
- Console-Release: Introduced Cobalt and Obsidian Shields.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced with Shields, sprites, and graphics up to Desktop 188.8.131.52.
- Mobile 184.108.40.206: Added the Shield of Cthulhu.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Sprites and graphics updated to match Desktop 1.2.3.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Added Ankh and Paladin's Shields.
- Mobile 1.1.5536: Added the Obsidian Shield.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced the Cobalt Shield.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced Cobalt, Obsidian, Ankh, and Paladin's Shields.