Shield of Cthulhu
From Terraria Wiki
Shield of Cthulhu
|Type||Accessory – Shield|
|Knockback||9 (Very Strong)|
|Tooltip||Allows the player to dash into the enemy|
Double tap a direction
- Internal Item ID: 3097
Fortune and glory, kid.Expert Mode-Only Content: This information applies only to Expert mode and Expert mode worlds.
|Desktop/Console-Only Content: This information applies only to the Desktop and Console versions of Terraria.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Unlike most shields, the Shield of Cthulhu does not grant knockback immunity.
- The Master Ninja Gear, Tabi, or Solar Flare armor set will all cancel the Shield of Cthulhu's dash ability.
- The Shield's dash works when Cursed. This is because the debuff only applies to items from the inventory, not the accessories.
- The Shield's dash damage increases drastically when using stealth mode provided by the Psycho Knife.
- Damage done by the Shield is not randomized; barring critical hits, it will always do the same amount of damage to enemies with the same defense rating.
- Players gain invulnerability from melee attacks when using the shield.
- The player's invulnerability timer resets after they hit something with the shield, meaning an enemy can hit the player again right after they have dashed into something.
- Players can deal higher damage if they dash at an enemy and hit it with a weapon at the same time.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Players can use the Shield's dash to boost themselves to the maximum sprint speed provided by their sprinting accessories. This also works with the Unicorn Mount, if the mount is summoned immediately following the dash.
- Getting this shield early and using the dash defensively will greatly increase a player's survival during boss battles. It remains a very valuable defensive tool until replaced with the Tabi.
- When dashing below a 1-block-wide hole and using the up key (or otherwise, a hole below and pressing the down key), the Shield of Cthulhu allows the player to move through 1-block-wide holes. This seems similar to a hoik effect and can be useful when there are a lot of these gaps in the dungeon.
- The Shield can be used to effectively defend oneself while fishing, as it isn't a weapon that you need to switch to in your hotbar to use.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If the Shield is equipped in a hidden accessory slot, it will still be visible while dashing.
- If the player is currently moving in one direction, and double taps the opposite direction key while still holding the previous direction key, they will dash in the same direction that they are moving in.
- When the Shield appears after dashing while the Shield is in a hidden accessory slot, it will not take any dyes into account.
- When walking with the Shield in a visible accessory slot, part of its sprite is cut off during the frame where it is most forward.
- This item is potentially themed off of the Demoman's shields from FPS game Team Fortress 2, where the player can also dash and deal damage with a shield equipped.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
| Expert mode items |
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •