- Internal NPC ID: 453
“Most skeletons are out for blood, but not the Skeleton Merchant. He just wants to sell supplies, such as rare torches and yo-yo gear.
— The Bestiary
The Skeleton Merchant is an NPC vendor that randomly spawns in the Cavern layer. Enemies will not spawn near him (same in 1.4) . He will not move into a vacant house if one is available, similar to the Traveling Merchant and the Old Man. He will despawn when off-screen, unlike the others, making him the only NPC that despawns once off-screen.
He will throw Bones to fend off nearby non-skeletal enemies.
Unlike other NPCs, the Skeleton Merchant does not have a map icon. A Hunter Potion will highlight him.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
Impact on Enemy Farming[edit | edit source]
- Despite similar mechanics, the Skeleton Merchant is not considered a town NPC in regards to reducing enemy spawns. He does, however, count as seven NPCs for the sake of enemy spawn limits when spawning NPCs, mechanically similar to bosses. In most cases this effectively blocks virtually anything from spawning, including critters. This creates a problem when the player is preparing to farm monsters in the Underground or Cavern layers. It is necessary to have a strong external damage source (lava, Boulders, Lihzahrd traps) to kill him to continue farming, or just go far enough for him to despawn. This may not apply to 1.4- needs further testing (recluse farm, expert, corruption biome still spawns spiders when skeleton merchant is in the safe box, at least.)
- If a player notices a suspiciously low number of enemies on their radar it could be a sign that the Skeleton Merchant has spawned.
- If a player speaks to the Skeleton Merchant, he will stop attacking enemies around himself and stand still. This will allow most non-skeletal enemies to kill him.
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
- Unlike other NPCs, he can neither be teleported using a Portal Gun or King Statue, nor drown. He can sometimes spawn in pools of water.
- The Skeleton Merchant does not attack skeletal enemies, nor will they harm him via contact damage. Skeleton Archers, however, may shoot him by accident if the player is behind the Skeleton Merchant. This will only deal one damage to the Skeleton Merchant (or two if it is a critical hit). Some other enemies, such as bosses like the Golem, will also not cause him to attack, though they can still damage him via contact.
- Skeletron is an exception as both will attack each other.
- He cannot be killed by explosives deployed by the player. However, he may spawn in front of a Detonator or pressure plate explosive trap. Because of his bulkier appearance, players interacting with him may unwillingly hit the plunger on the detonator trap, killing both him and the player.
• If there is a bunny in the caverns it is a sign that the skeleton merchant is near.Verify
Names[edit | edit source]
- Billy Marrows
- Bones McGee
- Gloomy Mays
- Jack Sellington
- Mandible Calavera
- No-Eyed Wiley
- Rattles Magoo
Quotes[edit | edit source]
When it’s raining:
During a Thunderstorm:
During a Windy Day:
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Selling items to him can help a player clear out their inventory in the middle of a long caving session.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The names Jack Sellington and Skellington are references to Jack Skellington from the 1993 American animated fantasy Halloween-Christmas film The Nightmare Before Christmas.
- The name "Bones McGee" is a reference to Leonard H. "Bones" McCoy from Star Trek.
- No-Eyed Wiley is a reference to One-Eyed Willy from the 1985 American adventure comedy film The Goonies.
- The name "Mandible Calavera" is a reference to Manuel "Manny" Calavera from the adventure game Grim Fandango.
- The names "Billy Marrows" and "Gloomy Mays" are a reference to the late American television salesperson Billy Mays.
- The name "Tom" may be a reference to Tom "Bones" Malone, member of the American blues and soul revivalist band The Blues Brothers.
- "Tom" may also be a reference to the enemy Tim.
- The quote about Slime Oil is a reference to the "miracle medicine" peddlers of the 1800s, who were commonly called Snake Oil Salesmen.
- The quote "The only things constant in this world are death and taxes, I've got both!" is a reference to Benjamin Franklin's famous quote, "In this world, nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."
- The quote "You would not believe some of the things people throw at me... Wanna buy some of it?" is a reference to a young scavenger named "Squirt the Peddler" in the action role-playing game Diablo III. Squirt periodically asks the player a near-exact variation of this question, but refers to "things people throw away" instead of "things people throw at me".
- The quote "Stay away from the spiders. They'll suck out your insides and leave you a hollow shell of a man. Trust me on this one." suggests the Skeleton Merchant was slain by a spider.
- Even though he is not a town NPC, he will throw confetti during a party.
- He is one of two NPCs that does not have a map icon, the other being the Old Man.
- If the Skeleton Merchant is nearby, Bunnies can spawn underground.
- Despite the fact one of his quotes says so, the skeleton merchant does not sell maggots.
- If the Skeleton Merchant is slain, no message would pop up to announce his death, unlike most NPCs.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Now shows its name in the Lifeform Analyzer rather than "Skeleton Merchant".
- Desktop 1.3.1: Now has a chance to be named "Mika".
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 22.214.171.124: Introduced.