|AI Type||Head AI|
|Damage||32 / 70|
9999 (during day)
|Max Life||4400 / 8800|
|Defense||10 / 100 (if hands aren't killed)|
0 (while spinning)
9999 (during day)
|Debuff duration||3-5 seconds / 6-10 seconds|
|Debuff tooltip||Cannot regenerate life|
- Internal NPC ID: 35
|AI Type||Skeletron Hand AI|
|Damage||20 / 44|
|Max Life||600 / 1560|
|Debuff duration||0.5-1 seconds|
|Debuff tooltip||Movement speed is reduced|
- Internal NPC ID: 36
My master cannot be summoned under the light of day.
- Not to be confused with Skeleton, an enemy found underground, or Skeletron Prime, the Hardmode version of Skeletron.
Skeletron is a Pre-Hardmode boss. It must be defeated prior to entering the Dungeon, and defeating it grants unlimited access to all Dungeon areas for all players. It also causes the Clothier NPC to spawn, as long as a vacant House is available.
If attempting to enter the Dungeon before killing Skeletron, Dungeon Guardians spawn once a player reaches 0 depth. These enemies generally kill any player with a single hit, dealing 1000 / 2000 damage. Managing to defeat a Dungeon Guardian does not grant access to the Dungeon, thus defeating Skeletron is mandatory for entering the Dungeon.
While Skeletron is alive, music Boss 1 will play.
Summoning[edit | edit source]
Skeletron is summoned by speaking to the Old Man at the Dungeon's entrance at night, who will turn into Skeletron when selecting the “Curse” option. If the Old Man is spoken to during the day, he will ask the player to return at night. Skeletron can only be summoned once per night, as the Old Man will not respawn until dawn. While players with less than 300 maximum health and/or less than 30 defense are deemed too weak by the Old Man to lift his curse, he still offers the option to summon Skeletron.
Skeletron can be summoned repeatedly this way until it is defeated. Once it is defeated, the Old Man's curse will be lifted and he will no longer appear. The Clothier NPC will arrive, bearing a remarkable resemblance to the Old Man. He can move in a town, as long as there is an empty house for him to live in. Skeletron can be re-summoned thereafter once the player acquires the Clothier Voodoo Doll. Equipping the accessory allows the player to kill the Clothier, which summons Skeletron. However, this will only work at night. On any other occasion, Skeletron does not spawn.
Attack Phases[edit | edit source]
Skeletron is a large floating skull with two independent floating hands. All parts can travel through blocks, and will attempt to make contact with the player to inflict damage. Each part can be killed independently, but killing the head is all that's required to defeat Skeletron.
Skeletron alternates between two attack phases:
- The head remains above while the hands slash at the player.
- The head spins, dealing significant damage if touched, but dropping its defense to zero for the duration of the attack.
If the player takes too long to kill him and dawn arrives, Skeletron will begin acting exactly as a Dungeon Guardian, performing a head spin attack with very high damage, which will usually kill any players remaining in the vicinity quickly (it is still possible to kill him, but players are at an extreme disadvantage). Skeletron remains in this form until dying or despawning, even if players manage to avoid dying until the following dusk.
Expert mode[edit | edit source]
Skeletron has additional properties in Expert mode:
- Due to its high defense, Skeletron's Head is nearly invincible. However, after losing a hand, its defense drops, rendering it more vulnerable.
- Once either of the hands are destroyed, the head begins to shoot homing skulls at the player which resemble Cursed Skulls. The frequency increases when Skeletron loses health or the other hand.
- Skeletron moves faster and has better AI when targeting multiple players. With this, it is able to "stunlock" the player while spinning, able to almost instantly kill them if they aren't able to escape (e.g. by using a Grappling Hook).
- Skeletron is able to inflict the debuffs Slow (from the hands) and Bleeding (from the head).
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Old Man who stands in front of the Dungeon can be killed if his health is depleted. However, this does not count as a Skeletron kill, and he will respawn.
- The Old Man will respawn the following day if players fail to defeat Skeletron.
- If Skeletron has not been killed by dawn, it will get increased defense and damage, making it very much like the Dungeon Guardian.
- Skeletron's defense and damage will not revert to their normal figures even if night falls again.
- Killing Skeletron after the night ends will still count as defeated, which opens the Dungeon.
- When both Skeletron and Golem are defeated, the player can initiate the Lunar Events: The four Cultists now spawn at the Dungeon entrance who cause the Lunatic Cultist to spawn when killed. Defeating it initiates the event.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Do not jump onto Skeletron's head multiple times with the Slime Mount, as going too high will cause him to despawn (also, in Space the low gravity will make it almost impossible to get back down past him). However, inside of the Dungeon entrance the Slime Mount can be a valuable tool.
- Going fast enough on a Minecart can cause the hands to despawn, leaving only the head to fight.
- A full set of Fossil Armor combined with Grenades can take out both hands easily.
- Using any ricocheting weapon (such as the Water Bolt found in the Dungeon) is extremely useful.
- Spiky Balls can be a good idea to throw into the arena before spawning Skeletron.
- With multiple players, it is a good idea to set the spawn point near the Dungeon, so that players can simply rejoin the fight if they die.
- The Bee Gun, Beenade or the The Bee's Knees can quickly build a swarm of bees for constant damage.
- Attacking the hands first is advised as destroying them both will make it very easy to dodge Skeletron for the rest of the battle.
- This is close to mandatory in Expert mode , as Skeletron gains 100 defense as long as its hands are alive.
- In Expert mode, if the player keeps moving in different directions, most homing skulls will miss; also note that they do not travel through tiles.
- In Expert mode, it is a good idea to use a yoyo and an overhead barrier.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Assuming that the player is at 5′ 9½″ (1.75 m) in terms of height, Skeletron's head would be about 11′ (3.35 m) tall and 8′ (2.43 m) wide. The hands would be 10′ (3 m) tall and 7′ (2 m) across.
- – According to the official game lore, Skeletron is the Skull of Cthulhu.
- At one point during game development, Skeletron Heads protected the Dungeon, but when one was killed, it would count as killing Skeletron, so the Dungeon Guardians were introduced to protect the Dungeon instead.
- Counting the health from both its hands, Skeletron has even more health than the Expert mode Wall of Flesh.
- Skeletron is the only boss not to have any guaranteed drops (with the exception of the Lesser Healing Potions and Treasure Bag if in Expert mode).
- On the Desktop version and Console version of Terraria, the Old Man has a health bar, but on the Old-gen console version, Mobile version, and , he has none. However, this does not affect gameplay as there is no way to damage him legitimately. version
- In the Terraria and Edge of Space crossover teaser, Skeletron turns into an actual boss called Omegatron.
- The name Skeletron is similar to the name Skeletor, the main antagonist of the Masters of the Universe franchise.
- Blood emits from the joints between Skeletron's arms and head.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: New AI and Treasure Bag added for Expert mode.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Skeletron now spawns on the Clothier when using a Clothier Voodoo Doll.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Can now be re-summoned with the Clothier Voodoo Doll.
- Has additional item drops. (Previously only dropped Lesser Healing Potions and money.)
- Desktop 1.0.6:
- Head health decreased from 5000 to 4400 but damage increased from 30 to 32.
- Hands health decreased from 800 to 600, defense decreased from 18 to 14 and damage decreased from 25 to 20.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Head health decreased from 6000 to 5000, defense decreased from 12 to 10 and damage decreased from 35 to 30.
- Hands health decreased from 1200 to 800 and damage decreased from 30 to 25.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.