|AI Type||Skeletron Prime Head AI|
|Damage||47 / 79|
94 / 158 (while spinning)
|Max Life||28000 / 42000|
48 (while spinning)
- Internal NPC ID: 127
Skeletron Prime is a Hardmode mechanical boss which is essentially a more difficult version of Skeletron. It consists of a head and four limbs, but, similar to Skeletron, only the head needs to be defeated to defeat the boss.
Skeletron Prime can be manually summoned using a Mechanical Skull at night. It can also spawn naturally upon dusk with a chance of 10% once a Demon or Crimson Altar has been smashed, as long as it has not yet been defeated in the current world. If spawning naturally, its arrival is announced by the status message: "The air is getting colder around you..." ( alternatively "You feel the air getting colder around you..."). If it is not defeated before dawn, it will behave much like a Dungeon Guardian, Not using its limbs at all, and charging at the Player at extremely high speeds.
While Skeletron Prime is alive, music Boss 1 will play.
- Prime Cannon fires bombs that do not destroy blocks, usually up into the air rather than directly at the player. It usually stays above the player.
- Skeletron Prime's Prime Saw and Prime Vice both act similarly to The Twins when they are charging, but the Prime Laser acts similarly to Retinazer or the Wall of Flesh while shooting laser beams.
- Prime Saw usually remains under the player, then swipes upwards or downwards.
- Prime Vice will swipe around wildly, making occasional lunges at the player. It usually remains diagonal to the player.
- Prime Laser shoots red death lasers similar to those of Retinazer and The Destroyer, and is always pointed at a player. It usually stays horizontal to the player.
Skeletron Prime will occasionally enter a "rage mode", in which its attacks become more aggressive:
- Skeletron Prime's Head will grow spikes and start spinning towards the player slowly. Damage and defense are doubled to 94 / 158 and 48, respectively.
- Prime Cannon will aim at the player directly and fire rapidly.
- Prime Saw will begin homing directly towards the player's location.
- Prime Vice becomes more aggressive and frequently lunges towards the player.
- Prime Laser will fire more frequently.
Skeletron Prime is generally much more mobile than its predecessor Skeletron, and will regularly move off-screen. Like Skeletron, if it is not beaten by dawn, it will behaves like a faster Dungeon Guardian, travelling at a speed of 65 instead of 41 MPH. If defeated this way he will drop items normally.
- When spawning naturally, Skeletron Prime spawns exactly 81 seconds after the status message has appeared.
- Being in a layer lower than the surface at that moment, or, in singleplayer, exiting the world during that timespan, will prevent Skeletron Prime from spawning naturally.
- The bombs fired by the Prime Cannon will only detonate if they hit solid blocks. They will pass through platforms without detonating.
- Standing on platforms far from blocks can mostly nullify the effects of the Prime Cannon, as its projectiles only detonate on blocks, while passing through platforms harmlessly.
- Unhindered movement is crucial when Skeletron Prime's head starts spinning, as it deals double the regular damage. Wings greatly aid in moving vertically, and flattened terrain or a sky bridge are convenient for horizontal movement.
- Although it is a little more time-consuming, focusing on the arms first is very rewarding. Once Skeletron Prime's head is no longer shielded by anything, the fight gets a lot easier. Prioritize damage on the arm which is causing the most damage or disruption, so it can be destroyed and removed from the fight as quick as possible.
- Due to Skeletron Prime's overall high defense, inflicting it with Ichor is effective, as he is not immune to it. Note that most Ichor weapons lack in damage compared to other weapons, so they should only be used periodically for inflicting the debuff.
- In fact, as the head is Immune to Cursed Inferno, but not Ichor, Crimson World Players have an advantage over Corruption World Players.
- Skeletron Prime will open and shut its mouth for the entire battle. This is a purely cosmetic effect.
- It is the only mechanical boss whose name contains the pre-Hardmode boss's name. Furthermore, it is the only mechanical boss to share boss music with its pre-Hardmode variant. Additionally, its name does not begin with the word "The", unlike the other two Mechanical Bosses.
- Unlike Skeletron, Skeletron Prime's defense doubles when its head is spinning.
- Skeletron Prime's head is immune to the Cursed Inferno, Penetrated, Celled, and Daybroken debuffs. Its arms, however, are not.
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated. Old sprite was .
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Increased health, damage and defense of most parts.
- Now drops Skeletron Prime Mask.
- Fixed bug where the player could defeat Skeletron Prime by destroying the Prime Cannon hand and not Skeletron Prime itself.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Added Expert mode drop, Mechanical Battery Piece. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Added Expert mode drop, Mechanical Battery Piece. ()
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.1.5536: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.