|Damage||185 / 128 (Ranged)|
|Knockback||8 (Very strong)|
|Critical chance||29% / 19%|
|Use time||36 (Very slow)|
|Tooltip||Shoots a powerful, high velocity bullet|
Right click to zoom out
- Internal Item ID: 1254
The Sniper Rifle is a Hardmode, post-Plantera ranged weapon that fires a bullet with extremely high damage and velocity, though at a far slower rate of fire than most ranged weapons, and cannot auto-fire (except on the Mobile version). It also has a "zoom" ability. The Sniper Rifle has a 8.33% / 15.97% (1/12 / 23/144) chance to be dropped by Skeleton Snipers, who most commonly spawn in Dungeon areas with Slab Walls during Hardmode after Plantera has been defeated.
The Sniper Rifle's "zoom" ability is functionally identical to that of the Rifle Scope, Sniper Scope, Recon Scope , and Binoculars. It allows the screen to scroll temporarily in the direction of the cursor, essentially extending the viewing range in one direction.
Zoom is activated via one of the following methods:
- Desktop version: Hold the right-click button.
- Console version: Hold the right stick.
- Mobile version: Tap-hold.
- : Move the C-Stick (New 3DS users only). version
The Sniper Rifle has a base 29% / 19% critical strike chance, as opposed to the usual 4%. On the Old-gen console version and , its use time is 49 (extremely slow). version
The Sniper Rifle is the only weapon lacking auto-fire on the . version
Its best Modifier is Unreal, but due to its already-high critical strike chance, the Ruthless modifier may be preferred to maximize damage instead.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Rifle Scope, Sniper Scope or Recon Scope can stack with the Sniper Rifle's zoom ability to increase zoom, though only slightly. The exact increase depends on your game screen resolution. For example, at 800x600, view is increased by 3 tiles; at 1680x1050 by 7 tiles; at 1920x1080 by 15 tiles.
- Musket Balls and Silver Bullets fired from this weapon gain the visual effects (but not damage) of High Velocity Bullets. All other ammo types travel at normal speed, and retain their usual appearance.
- It has a surprisingly low sell price for its power and rarity, making potential reforge costs lower.
- Zooming will update the Minimap (the same holds true for the Rifle Scope, Sniper Scope, and Binoculars).
- Holding the Sniper Rifle, Binoculars, or any weapon that supports zooming when a Rifle Scope is equipped will change the range at which monsters spawn around the player.
- On the , the scope glitches your sights and make nearby entities vibrate rapidly. version
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Sniper Rifle pairs especially well with the following bullet types, as they help to compensate for its low rate of fire:
- Chlorophyte Bullets, as their homing ability allows easy hits, particularly useful with the Rifle's slow rate of fire.
- Crystal Bullets, as the shards produced can potentially hit multiple targets, and their vastly increased base damage allows them to contribute more significantly to damage output.
- Exploding Bullets, which will hit multiple targets at once with splash damage. However, the Sniper Rifle's enormous base damage also makes Exploding Bullets far more dangerous to use; one misplaced shot can remove around half of a player's health.
- Luminite Bullets, which can be devastating against a whole line of enemies.
- Meteor Shot, which pierces once, effectively doubling the Sniper Rifle's damage output when used against crowds. Its slow rate of fire ensures that enemies do not benefit from piercing invincibility frames.
- The Sniper Rifle's main strengths – damage and critical chance – are boosted even further when utilizing the stealth effect of Vortex armor or Shroomite armor, enabling most non-boss enemies to be killed in one shot.
- The Sniper Rifle is useful against enemies that teleport when hit, like Diabolists, Necromancers, and Nebula Floaters, due to the high one-shot damage that would usually kill them instantly.
- Nebula Floaters usually take more shots, but they'd be fought by the player in the open areas. Chlorophyte Bullets are invaluable in this case.
- It is possible to achieve over 100% critical strike chance with the following setup:
- Additionally, utilizing the damage bonus of a banner, it is possible to deal a devastating 2280 damage to an enemy in one hit.
- The Sniper rifle pairs extremely well with Shroomite armor or Vortex armor and in multiplayer if one player has the set bonus of turtle/beetle/solar flare armor and the other players have sniper rifles and damage boosting gear, it is possible to kill most bosses with extreme ease
- It is also possible to attain more than 600 base damage and even 700 in master mode due to the extra possible accessory slots with the following setup:
- Vortex armor with stealth mode on
- Menacing Destroyer Emblem
- Menacing Avenger Emblem
- Menacing Sniper Scope
- Menacing Ranger Emblem
- Menacing Recon Scope
- Menacing Celestial Shell
- Menacing Wings
- An additional 5% damage at night (Celestial shell)
- Various buffs and debuffs that increase damage can raise this number even farther
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Sniper Rifle has the highest base critical strike chance of any weapon in the game, beating the Obsidian Swordfish by 5%. It is also tied with the Revolver for highest ranged velocity. While it additionally has one of the highest base damages in the game, it is still beaten by the Zenith, Meowmere, Terrarian, Bunny Cannon, Dynamite, Explosives, and the Holy Hand Grenade. As a ranged weapon however, it is mostly unparalleled.
- It can be considered a post-Plantera upgrade of the Dart Rifle on the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version. It can be considered a Hardmode upgrade of the Musket on the Old-gen console version and . version
- The Sniper Rifle, Uzi, and Venus Magnum all have the same tooltip.
- A Coin Gun using Platinum coins has the same damage per shot, but it fires 5 times faster, making its effective DPS five times higher than that of the Sniper Rifle.
- However, Sniper Rifle's ammo is much cheaper than the Coin Gun in this case.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Reduced sound volume.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Increased damage from 128 to 185.
- Critical chance increased from 19% to 29%.
- Reduced use time from 49 to 35.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced, but unobtainable.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.