|Damage||185 / 128 Ranged|
|Knockback||8 (Very Strong)|
|Critical chance||29% / 19%|
|Use time||35 Slow|
|Tooltip||Shoots a powerful, high velocity bullet|
Right click to zoom out
- Internal Item ID: 1254
The Sniper Rifle is a Hardmode, post-Plantera ranged weapon that fires a bullet with extremely high damage and velocity, though at a far slower rate of fire than most ranged weapons, and cannot auto-fire. It also has a "zoom" ability. The Sniper Rifle has a 7.64% / 11.46% chance to be dropped by Skeleton Snipers, who only spawn in Dungeon areas with Slab Walls during Hardmode after Plantera has been defeated.
The Sniper Rifle's "zoom" ability is functionally identical to that of the Rifle Scope, Sniper Scope, and Binoculars'. While the player is holding the right-click button on the Desktop version, the right stick on the Console version, holding tap on the Mobile version, or moving the C-Stick on the (New Nintendo 3DS users only), the screen will scroll temporarily in the direction of the cursor. This essentially extends the viewing range in one direction. version
Its best Modifier is Unreal; however, due to its already-high critical strike chance, the Ruthless modifier may be preferred to maximize damage instead.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Rifle Scope or Sniper Scope can stack with the Sniper Rifle's zoom ability to increase zoom, though only slightly. The exact increase depends on your game screen resolution. For example, at 800x600, view is increased by 3 tiles; at 1680x1050, 7 tiles; at 1920x1080, 15 tiles.
- Musket Balls and Silver Bullets fired from this weapon gain the visual effects (but not damage) of High Velocity Bullets. All other ammo types travel at normal speed, and retain their usual appearance.
- It has a surprisingly low sell price for its power and rarity.
- Zooming will update the Minimap (the same holds true for the Rifle Scope, Sniper Scope, and Binoculars).
- The Sniper Rifle's zoom ability is very limited on the Mobile version.
- The Sniper Rifle increases the spawn distance for monsters.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Sniper Rifle pairs especially well with the following bullet types, as they help to compensate for its low rate of fire:
- Chlorophyte Bullets, as their homing ability will allow more shots to hit the enemy.
- Crystal Bullets, as the shards produced will allow multiple targets to be hit at once.
- Explosive Bullets, which, with splash damage, will similarly hit multiple target at once. Use care, as self-damage from the sniper explosive rounds can easily 2-shot most players.
- The Sniper Rifle's main strengths - damage and critical chance - are boosted even further when utilizing the stealth effect of Vortex armor or Shroomite armor, enabling most non-boss enemies to be killed in one shot.
- The Sniper Rifle is useful against enemies that teleport when hit, like Diabolists, Necromancers, and Nebula Floaters, due to the high one-shot damage.
- It is possible to deal a devastating 2280 damage using Vortex Armor in stealth mode and banner damage bonus combined with a good Modifier and Accessories.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Sniper Rifle has the highest base critical strike chance of any weapon in the game, beating the Obsidian Swordfish by 5%. It is also tied with the Revolver for highest ranged velocity. While it additionally has one of the highest base damages in the game, it is still beaten by the Meowmere, Terrarian, Bunny Cannon, Dynamite, and Explosives.
- It can be considered a post-Plantera upgrade of the Dart Rifle on the Desktop version and Console version. It can be considered a Hardmode upgrade of the Musket on the Old-gen console version, Mobile version, and . version
- It is possible to achieve over 100% critical strike chance with accessories, armor, and modifiers, as well as entering stealth mode.
- The Sniper Rifle, Uzi, and Venus Magnum all have the same tooltip.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Increased damage from 128 to 185.
- Critical chance increased from 19% to 29%.
- Reduced use time from 49 to 35.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.