We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
- See also: Underground Snow
The Snow biome is a biome that takes on an arctic theme, being primarily composed of Snow and Ice Blocks, and displaying a constant snowfall effect. Trees within Snow biomes have a snowy cover on them, and yield Boreal Wood instead of ordinary Wood. During rain, a Snow biome will undergo a blizzard instead, where snowfall increases, causing decreased visibility, and unique enemies to be able to spawn. Some NPCs will sell different items when situated in a Snow biome, including the Merchant, Painter, and Clothier.
Contents[edit | edit source]
|Characters||Unique Drops||For Sale|
During the day:
During the night:
During a Blood Moon:
From Zombie Eskimos:
From Ice Golems:
From Ice Elementals:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Player-created Snow biomes are possible by placing at least 300 Snow Blocks and/or Ice Blocks in an area.
- Water does not turn into ice blocks in a Snow biome. Ice blocks are generated only on world creation.
- Snow biomes are somewhat immune to surface Hallow and Corruption/Crimson spread, since snow blocks cannot be transformed. However, Ice Blocks are affected and will be transformed into Pink Ice Blocks (Hallow), Purple Ice Blocks (Corruption) and Red Ice Blocks (Crimson), which mostly affects the Underground Snow.
- Grass will not grow on Dirt Blocks in a Snow biome.
- From surface to underground, the snow biome will always generate in a shape similar to a trapezoid.
- The Snow biome will always be located on the opposite side of the world as the Jungle. However, unlike the Jungle, it can be located very close to (or at) spawn.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It is referred to as "Tundra" by the Angler.
- The Snow Biome is the only Biome that is required to craft an item, which is the Snow Cloud.
- The Angler will still display quests for the Mutant Flinxfin, Pengfish, and Tundra Trout in the mobile version even if the world doesn't contain a Snow biome.
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.2.1: Enemies within the Snow biome no longer drop Frozen Keys, instead they now drop Frozen Key Molds which can be crafted into Frozen Keys.
- 22.214.171.124.1: Fixed random crashing when in a snow biome in multiplayer.
- 126.96.36.199: Snow particles will no longer spawn on backwalls.
- Now generates in all worlds (instead of 1/3 of worlds not generated during the Christmas season, and all worlds generated during the Christmas season).
- Blizzard event.
- New background.
- New theme music.
- Some vendor NPCs sell specific items from within the Snow Biome:
- Unique enemies added (Penguin, Corrupt Penguin, Ice Elemental, Ice Golem, Ice Slime, Wolf, Zombie Eskimo).
- Underground Snow biome added.
- Snowy trees now drop acorns.
- Ice Blocks added.
- Can now be corrupted/hallowed (creating Purple, Red, and Pink Ice Blocks).
- Enemies within the Hardmode Snow biome now drop Frozen Keys which can be used to unlock the Frozen Chest in the Dungeon.
- 1.1.1: Introduced with Snow Blocks.
|Surface Layers||Forest • Desert • Ocean • Snow • Jungle • Mushroom • Evil Biome (The Corruption • The Crimson) • The Hallow • Space|
|Underground Layers||Underground • Cavern • Underground Snow • Underground Desert • Underground Jungle • Underground Mushroom • Underground Corruption • Underground Crimson • Underground Hallow • The Underworld|
|Special Biomes||Meteorite • Granite Cave • Marble Cave • Spider Nest • Bee Hive • Dungeon • Lihzahrd Temple|
|Other||Living Tree • Enchanted Sword Shrine • Floating Island • Underground Cabin • Chasm • Pyramid • Jungle Shrine • Living Mahogany Tree • Jungle Sanctum • Ruined House|