- This article is about the snow-themed biome. For the block, see Snow Block. For the weather event, see Rain.
The Snow biome, also known as the Tundra, is a biome that takes on an arctic theme, being primarily composed of Snow and Ice Blocks, and displaying a constant snowfall effect. Trees within Snow biomes have a snowy cover on them, and yield Boreal Wood instead of ordinary Wood. During rain, a Snow biome will undergo a blizzard instead, where snowfall increases, causing decreased visibility, and unique enemies to be able to spawn. Some NPCs will sell different items when situated in a Snow biome, including the Merchant, Painter, and Clothier.
On the , versionnormal sized worlds only have a 1/3 chance of containing a Snow biome.
Contents[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Player-created Snow biomes are possible by placing more than 1,500 Snow Blocks and/or Ice Blocks in an area.
- Water does not turn into ice blocks in a Snow biome. Ice blocks are generated only on world creation.
- Snow biomes are somewhat immune to surface Hallow and Corruption/Crimson spread, since snow blocks cannot be transformed. However, Ice Blocks are affected and will be transformed into Pink Ice Blocks (Hallow), Purple Ice Blocks (Corruption) and Red Ice Blocks (Crimson), which mostly affects the Ice biome.
- Grass will not grow on Dirt Blocks in a Snow biome.
- From surface to underground, the snow biome will always generate in a shape similar to a trapezoid.
- The Snow biome will always be located on the opposite side of the world as the Underground Desert and the Jungle. Both the Snow Biome and Jungle can generate near or in spawn.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Angler refers to this biome as the "Tundra".
- Before Desktop version 1.4, the Snow Biome was the only Biome that was required to craft an item, which was the Snow Cloud.
- The Angler will still display quests for the Mutant Flinxfin, Pengfish, and Tundra Trout in the mobile version even if the world doesn't contain a Snow biome.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Biome now requires 1500 blocks, increased from 300.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Desktop 1.2.1: Enemies within the Snow biome no longer drop Frozen Keys, instead they now drop Frozen Key Molds which can be crafted into Frozen Keys.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11.1: Fixed random crashing when in a snow biome in multiplayer.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Snow particles will no longer spawn on backwalls.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Now generates in all worlds (instead of 1/3 of worlds not generated during the Christmas season, and all worlds generated during the Christmas season).
- Blizzard event.
- New background.
- New theme music.
- Some vendor NPCs sell specific items from within the Snow Biome:
- Unique enemies added (Penguin, Corrupt Penguin, Ice Elemental, Ice Golem, Ice Slime, Wolf, Zombie Eskimo).
- Ice biome added.
- Snowy trees now drop acorns.
- Ice Blocks added.
- Can now be corrupted/hallowed (creating Purple, Red, and Pink Ice Blocks).
- Enemies within the Hardmode Snow biome now drop Frozen Keys which can be used to unlock the Frozen Chest in the Dungeon.