"A solar eclipse is happening!"
A Solar Eclipse is a Hardmode event that occurs rarely after at least one mechanical boss has been defeated. A Solar Eclipse has a 1/20 (5%) chance of occurring upon any particular dawn. On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, it is also possible to summon a Solar Eclipse using a Solar Tablet (only legitimately obtainable after defeating Plantera, but can occasionally be obtained prior to that).
During a Solar Eclipse, unique and difficult enemies spawn at very high rates, even near NPCs. The event lasts for one entire day, from sunrise to sunset, regardless of the number of enemies that have been killed. The moon is visible in front of the sun, causing the ambient light level to drop to below-nighttime levels.
A Solar Eclipse is announced at the beginning of a day with the status message "A solar eclipse is happening!" The event only affects the surface layer, and can be avoided by moving into the underground layer or below.
Content[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- There is a 5% chance for a Solar Eclipse to occur each dawn, even if one happened the previous day. It is possible for multiple Solar Eclipses to occur in a row. It is also possible for a Blood Moon to follow a Solar Eclipse, or vice-versa.
- It is possible for boss fights or other events to occur at the same time as a Solar Eclipse, such as a Goblin Invasion or a Pirate Invasion. Prior to 188.8.131.52, these events may also cancel Solar Eclipse enemy spawns.
- Unlike a Blood Moon, a Solar Eclipse only allows its exclusive enemies to spawn on the surface, except for in Corruption, Crimson, and Ocean areas.
- On the Mobile version, quitting the game when the status message is shown will cancel the event.Verify
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Like the Blood Moon, the effects of Water Candles and Battle Potions stack with the event's spawn rate, increasing the opportunities for rare drops.
- Solar Tablet Fragments, which are used to create the event-summoning Solar Tablet, can be acquired before gaining access to the Jungle Temple by defeating the Lihzahrds that spawn outside the Jungle Temple, who will drop the Solar Tablet Fragments.
- Fetid Baghnakhs are a great weapon in surviving Solar Eclipses because of the fast speed and high damage.
- The KO Cannon is very effective against the pre-mechanical boss Solar Eclipse.
- On the , a Solar Eclipse can be escaped by moving to a versionFloating Island. The enemies spawning there naturally (Harpies and Wyverns) will still pose a threat, however.
- As there are very high enemy spawn rates, it is a good idea to use a Minishark (low damage for more coins) with Golden Bullets to farm for money. A Lucky Coin can maximize the outcome.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Every enemy that spawns during a Solar Eclipse (except the Reaper and Eyezor) share the theme of classic 20th century horror films. (See image on the right and each enemy's individual page for movie references.)
- The type of Solar Eclipse displayed is an annular solar eclipse.
- An annular eclipse occurs when the sun and moon are exactly in line with the earth, but the apparent size of the moon is smaller than that of the sun. Hence the sun appears as a very bright ring, or , surrounding the dark disk of the moon.
- In real life, such eclipses are extremely rare, happening less than once a year and rarely where people can see it.
- Additionally, real solar eclipses only occur on new moons. In Terraria, the event can occur on any phase of the moon.
- Real-life solar eclipses usually only last for about seven minutes, while the one in the game can last for an entire 15 in-game hours.
- When loading a world with a Solar Eclipse in progress, the sun that rises and sets on the loading screen is also in its eclipsed state.
- During an Eclipse, the moon icon on the Sextant will turn red, like it does with a Blood Moon.
- Originally, another enemy was planned for the Solar Eclipse, named the Severed Hand: . It was never added to the game, for unknown reasons. Despite this, there is still an unobtainable Severed Hand Banner.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Chance of a natural Solar Eclipse occurring decreased to 1/20.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Can now be summoned manually using a Solar Tablet.
- Added Dr. Man Fly, Mothron, Nailhead, Fritz, The Possessed, Butcher, Deadly Sphere, Creature from the Deep and Psycho along with their banners and drops.
- Changed sprite for Swamp Thing and Vampire.
- Other Events will no longer block spawns from the Solar Eclipse.
- Chance of a natural Solar Eclipse occurring increased to 1/14.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Slightly increased the chance for a Solar Eclipse to happen, from 1/30 to 1/25, but they will now only happen after killing a Mechanical Boss.
- Solar Eclipses are no longer persistent between worlds.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.