We are currently performing an upgrade to our software. This upgrade will bring MediaWiki from version 1.31 to 1.33. While the upgrade is being performed on your wiki it will be in read-only mode. For more information check here.
Solar Flare armor
|Type||Armor • Set|
|Set Bonus||Solar shields generate over time protecting you,|
consume the shield power to dash, damaging enemies
|Sell||No value (set)|
|Buff tooltip||Damage taken reduced by 30%, repel enemies when taking damage|
- Internal Buff ID: 170-172
Solar Flare armor is a post-Moon Lord set of armor which provides melee boosts. It is currently the final melee set available on the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version. This armor set also provides the most base defense. Crafting this set requires a total of 36 Luminite Bars (144 Luminite) and 45 Solar Fragments.
In total, Solar Flare armor pieces apply the following boosts:
- +17% melee critical hit chance
- +22% melee damage
- +15% melee speed
- +15% movement speed
- Significantly higher chance that enemies will target the wearer
Equipping the full set additionally provides a special set bonus that builds the longer the player avoids damage, up to 3 "charges" (similar to Beetle armor). Each takes 5 seconds to build. The charges provide a fixed damage reduction of 30% regardless of the number of charges. The number of charges built is indicated by a shield that appears after the first charge, with 2 and 3 spikes appearing on the shield on the second and third charges, respectively.
Taking damage causes one charge to deplete, and discharges fire explosions around the player that can damage enemies in the vicinity. A charge can also be discharged manually by using the shield's special "dash" attack, activated by double-tapping ◀ Left or ▶ Right. Dashing only consumes a charge if it strikes an enemy, and upon doing so causes a similar explosion.
Each piece equipped (even if hidden by vanity items) also causes the player to emit light, with a higher light level for each additional piece equipped. Additionally, equipping the full set displays both an after-image motion effect and a pulsating effect, similar to Hallowed armor.
Set[edit | edit source]
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Taking fall damage also triggers the explosion discharge, depleting one shield charge.
- The shield can be dyed using the chest dye slot.
- All armors made from Luminite currently have no sell value. This is likely going to change in a future patch.
- Using the shield's dash in front of a wall causes the player to descend one tile.
- Holding the Psycho Knife will increase the damage of the dash.
- The Endurance Potion, Frozen Turtle Shell and Worm Scarf stack with the shield.
- The set bonus still says "Consume shield power to dash" although it no longer consumes it.
- Like all armors made from Luminite, equipping Solar Flare armor makes the player emit light, in this case, red. Light radius increases with the number of pieces equipped.
- The dash causes the player to move at 52 mph.
- This dash will cause the player to move 11 mph faster than the Dungeon Guardian and 1 mph faster than the dash of Biome Mimics when the player is too far away.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Chlorophyte Mask provides 1 point more defense than the Solar Flare Helmet, with the former having 25 defense and the latter having 24. It also provides higher total offensive bonuses.
- Beetle armor with Scale Mail and full Beetle Might has over twice the offensive benefits of Solar Flare armor (+44% melee damage and +42% melee speed for Beetle compared to merely +22% melee damage and +15% melee speed for Solar Flare armor). In terms of defense, Solar Flare armor provides slightly more defense than Beetle armor with Beetle Shell, but provides 15% less damage reduction and has an activation cooldown of 5 seconds rather than 3. Solar Flare armor always reduces damage taken by 30%, whereas Beetle armor has a maximum damage reduction of 45%.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The shield acts somewhat like the Shield of Cthulhu, but does more damage and does not knock the player backward.
- Solar Flare armor essentially combines the effects of Turtle armor (damage reflection), Beetle armor (damage absorption), and the Shield of Cthulhu (dash damage).
- Before this armor was introduced, wearing Beetle armor with the Beetle Shell would provide the most defense, at 73. The Solar Flare armor exceeds this by 5 defense points.
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Dash ability now only consumes flares when it hits an enemy, and any hit enemy will result in a "Solar Radiance" explosion.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Fixed Solar shields drawing even when you're dead.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 18.104.22.168: Introduced.