Solar Flare armor
|Type||Armor – Set|
|Set Bonus||Solar shields generate over time protecting you, consume the shield power to dash, damaging enemies|
|Grants Buff|| Solar Blaze|
|Buff tooltip||Damage taken reduced by 30%, repel enemies when taking damage|
The Solar Shield "dash" ability in action.
Solar Flare armor is a post-Moon Lord set of armor that provides melee boosts. It is currently the best melee set available on the Desktop version and Console version. This armor set also provides the most base defense. Crafting this set requires a total of 36 Luminite Bars (144 Luminite) and 45 Solar Fragments.
In total, Solar Flare armor pieces apply the following boosts:
- +17% melee critical hit chance
- +22% melee damage
- +15% melee speed
- +15% movement speed
- Significantly higher chance that enemies will target the wearer
Equipping the full set additionally provides a special set bonus that builds the longer the player avoids damage, up to 3 "charges" (similar to Beetle armor). Each takes 5 seconds to build. The charges provide a flat damage reduction of 30% regardless of the number of charges. The number of charges built are indicated by a shield that appears after the first charge, with 2 and 3 spikes appearing on the shield on the second and third charges, respectively.
Taking damage causes one charge to deplete, and discharges fire explosions around the player that can damage enemies in the vicinity. A charge can also be discharged manually by using the shield's special "dash" attack, activated by double-tapping
. Dashing only consumes a charge if it strikes an enemy, and upon doing so causes a similar explosion.
Each piece equipped (even if hidden by vanity items) also causes the player to emit light, with a higher light level for each additional piece equipped. Additionally, equipping the full set displays an after-image motion effect, similar to Hallowed armor.
Solar Flare Helmet
|Bonus||17% increased melee critical hit chance; Enemies are more likely to target you|
Solar Flare Breastplate
|Bonus||22% increased melee damage; Enemies are more likely to target you|
Solar Flare Leggings
|Bonus||15% increased movement and melee speed; Enemies are more likely to target you|
- Strangely, Beetle Armor with Scale Mail and full Beetle Might has over twice the offensive benefits of Solar Flare Armor (+44% melee damage and +42% melee speed for Beetle compared to merely +22% melee damage and +15% melee speed for Solar Flare Armor). This results in confusion among players to decide which is better, for defense, the Solar Flare armor provides slight more,but in DPS, it's outclassed by Beetle armor when equipped with scale mail.
- The Beetle armor with shell also provides damage reduction between 15% and 45%. Solar Flare Armor only provides a 30% damage reduction boost.
- Because of the damage reduction comparisons, for a player who wants to defeat the Dungeon Guardian a player with the Lifeforce and Endurance buffs with Solar Flare Armor will cause the Dungeon Guardian to deal 30 more damage than the player's maximum health with the Lifeforce Potion. A player equipping Beetle armor with shell having the Lifeforce and Endurance buffs will cause the Dungeon Guardian to deal 495 damage. The player will have only 105 life.
- Taking fall damage also triggers the explosion discharge, depleting one shield charge.
- The shield can be dyed using the chestplate dye slot.
- All armors made from Luminite currently have no sell value. This is likely to change in a future patch.
- If you use the shield's dash ability close to a wall you'll end up going down one block.
- Holding the Psycho Knife will increase the damage of the dash.
- The Endurance Potion, Frozen Turtle Shell and Worm Scarf stack with the shield.
- Set bonus is still "Consume shield power to dash" although it no longer consumes it.
- Like all armors made from Luminite equipping solar armor makes the player give off light, in this case red. Light radius increases with amount of pieces equipped.
- Before this armor was introduced, wearing Beetle armor with the Beetle Shell would provide the most defense, at 73. The Solar Flare armor beats this by 5 armor points.
- The dash causes the player to move at 52 miles per hour.
- This dash will cause the player to move 11 mph faster than the Dungeon Guardian and 1 mph faster than the dash of biome Mimics when the player is too far away.
- Solar Flare Armor essentially combines the effects of Turtle Armor (damage reflection), Beetle armor (damage absorption), and the Shield of Cthulhu (dash damage).
- The shield acts somewhat like the Shield of Cthulhu, but does more damage and doesn't knock the player backwards.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Dash ability now only consumes flares when it hits an enemy, and any hit enemy will result in a "Solar Radiance" explosion.