Solar Flare armor
|Type||Armor – Set|
|Set Bonus||Solar shields generate over time protecting you, consume the shield power to dash, damaging enemies|
|Buff tooltip||Damage taken reduced by 30%, repel enemies when taking damage|
- Internal Buff ID: 170-172
Solar Flare armor is a post-Moon Lord set of armor that provides melee boosts. It is currently the best melee set available on the Desktop version and Console version. This armor set also provides the most base defense. Crafting this set requires a total of 36 Luminite Bars (144 Luminite) and 45 Solar Fragments.
In total, Solar Flare armor pieces apply the following boosts:
- +17% melee critical hit chance
- +22% melee damage
- +15% melee speed
- +15% movement speed
- Significantly higher chance that enemies will target the wearer
Equipping the full set additionally provides a special set bonus that builds the longer the player avoids damage, up to 3 "charges" (similar to Beetle armor). Each takes 5 seconds to build. The charges provide a flat damage reduction of 30% regardless of the number of charges. The number of charges built are indicated by a shield that appears after the first charge, with 2 and 3 spikes appearing on the shield on the second and third charges, respectively.
Taking damage causes one charge to deplete, and discharges fire explosions around the player that can damage enemies in the vicinity. A charge can also be discharged manually by using the shield's special "dash" attack, activated by double-tapping ◀ Left or ▶ Right. Dashing only consumes a charge if it strikes an enemy, and upon doing so causes a similar explosion.
Each piece equipped (even if hidden by vanity items) also causes the player to emit light, with a higher light level for each additional piece equipped. Additionally, equipping the full set displays both an after-image motion effect and a pulsating effect, similar to Hallowed armor.
Set[edit | edit source]
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Beetle armor with Scale Mail and full Beetle Might has over twice the offensive benefits of Solar Flare armor (+44% melee damage and +42% melee speed for Beetle compared to merely +22% melee damage and +15% melee speed for Solar Flare armor). In terms of defense, Solar Flare armor provides slightly more defense than Beetle armor with Beetle Shell, but provides 15% less damage reduction. Solar Flare armor is capable of reducing damage by 30%, whereas Beetle armor has a maximum damage reduction of 45%.
- Taking fall damage also triggers the explosion discharge, depleting one shield charge.
- The shield can be dyed using the Chestplate Dye Slot.
- All armors made from Luminite currently have no sell value. This is likely to change in a future patch.
- If you use the shield's dash ability close to a wall you'll end up going down one block.
- Holding the Psycho Knife will increase the damage of the dash.
- The Endurance Potion, Frozen Turtle Shell and Worm Scarf stack with the shield.
- Set bonus still says "Consume shield power to dash" although it no longer consumes it.
- Like all armors made from Luminite, equipping Solar Flare armor makes the player emit light, in this case red. Light radius increases with amount of pieces equipped.
- Before this armor was introduced, wearing Beetle armor with the Beetle Shell would provide the most defense, at 73. The Solar Flare armor beats this by 5 armor points.
- The dash causes the player to move at 52 mph.
- This dash will cause the player to move 11 mph faster than the Dungeon Guardian and 1 mph faster than the dash of Biome Mimics when the player is too far away.
- Solar Flare armor essentially combines the effects of Turtle Armor (damage reflection), Beetle armor (damage absorption), and the Shield of Cthulhu (dash damage).
- The shield acts somewhat like the Shield of Cthulhu, but does more damage and doesn't knock the player backwards.
- The Chlorophyte Mask provides 1 point more defense than the Solar Flare Helmet, with the former having 25 defense and the latter having 24.
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Dash ability now only consumes flares when it hits an enemy, and any hit enemy will result in a "Solar Radiance" explosion.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Fixed Solar shields drawing even when you're dead.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()