- For info on how to farm souls, see Guide:Harvesting Souls.
- For the uncommon NPC found in the Underworld, see Tortured Soul.
Souls are Hardmode crafting materials dropped by enemies. Unlike other enemy drops, Souls are not affected by gravity, and thus remain floating in midair at the point where the enemy was killed. For large enemies and Bosses, this is usually the enemy's head, regardless of where the final strike occurred.
All enemies can drop Soul of Night or Soul of Light, depending only on the biome they are in when killed.
Pre - 1.3 sprites.
- Underground Corruption/Crimson and Hallow enemies do not always drop souls, which makes soul gathering more difficult. The odds are 1/5, or 1/3 in Expert mode.
- Note that the biome (Corruption/Crimson or Hallow) determines what soul will be dropped, e.g an Illuminant Bat in the Corruption will drop Souls of Night, and a Corruptor in the Hallow will drop Souls of Light.
- Even pre-Hardmode enemies can drop souls.
- An easy way to get Souls of Night and Souls of Light is to go to the Dungeon and spray red/purple Solution with the Clentaminator at different areas. Because of the high spawn rate, it is possible to get a large amount of souls fairly quickly.
- All of the Soul of... names rhyme with each other (-ight).