- For info on how to farm souls see Guide:Harvesting Souls.
Souls are Hardmode crafting materials dropped by enemies. Unlike other enemy drops, Souls are not affected by gravity, and thus remain floating in midair at the point where the enemy was killed. For large enemies and Bosses, this is usually the enemy's head, regardless of where the final strike occurred.
All enemies can drop Soul of Night or Soul of Light, depending only on the biome they are in when killed.
Pre - 1.3 sprites.
- Underground Corruption/Crimson and Hallow enemies do not always drop souls, which makes soul gathering more difficult. The odds are 1/5, or 1/3 in Expert mode.
- Note that the biome (Corruption/Crimson or Hallow) determines what soul will be dropped, e.g an Illuminant Bat in the Corruption will drop Souls of Night, and a Corruptor in the Hallow will drop Souls of Light.
- Even pre-Hardmode enemies can drop souls.
- An easy way to to get souls of night and souls of light are to go to your dungeon and spray the red/purple Solution with the Clentaminator at different areas. Because of the high spawn rate you can get 50 souls in minutes.Verify
- All of the Soul of... names rhyme with each other (-ight).
- The Soul of Blight is the only soul that does not have a re-texture. This is because the souls were retextured in 1.3, which has not come to console/mobile, the only versions in which Souls of Blight are obtainable.