The world spawn point is where players appear in a newly created world or when joining a multiplayer server. The world's spawn point will be on a surface within 5 blocks of the horizontal middle of world.
A player's spawn point is initially the world spawn point, but can be changed by building a bed, placing it in a house and right-clicking it. The spawn point is where players respawn after dying, and where a Magic Mirror or Recall Potion will teleport them. However, if a player's current house is broken, their spawn point reverts back to the world's initial spawn point.
It is very useful to build a house over your initial spawn point, because if you die, or your bed is obstructed, you will spawn inside the house. Conversely, be cautious about digging deeply beneath a world's initial spawn point because if you die, or your bed was displaced, you will fall from your initial spawn point.
Any blocks at the original spawn point, including Water and Lava, are broken so the player can spawn correctly. Filled storage items and their supporting tiles will not be destroyed, causing the player to instead spawn inside tiles in this case.
It is possible, though extremely rare, for the player to spawn on a Floating Island.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.2.4: It is now much more likely that you will spawn on a flat clean surface when creating a new world.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: If you place a bed somewhere that would cause you to not spawn without breaking through blocks you will now get a message when trying to set your spawn point letting you know the bed is not in a suitable position.
- Desktop 1.0.1: Spawning no longer destroys chests that are placed on ground that is removed due to spawn point clearing.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.