|Type||Potion – Drop|
|Use time||16 Very Fast|
|Tooltip||Shows the location of treasure and ore|
|Buff duration||5 minutes|
|Buff tooltip||Shows the location of treasure and ore|
The Spelunker Potion is a buff potion that grants the Spelunker buff when consumed, which illuminates valuable nearby objects. The highlight color varies between versions. This lasts for 5 minutes, but can be cancelled at any time by right-clicking the icon, by selecting the icon and canceling it in the equipment menu/gui, by reloading the world, or by cancelling the buff from the buffs screen. It has a small chance to appear as a bonus drop from Slimes.
The Spelunker buff illuminates the following objects:
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Desktop, Console, Mobile, and 3DS Ore Colors[edit | edit source]
On Desktop, Console, Mobile, and , ore (and other treasures) will be displayed with a yellow tint. This will somewhat alter the natural color of the highlighted treasure, such as making Cobalt turquoise and Orichalcum red. Some ores are not affected, these being Crimtane (unlike its counterpart Demonite), Meteorite, Obsidian, and Hellstone. Meteorite, however, does provide its own light.
Old-gen console Ore Colors[edit | edit source]
In the Old-gen console version, every type of ore will be displayed in a specific color and will glow and flash:
- Copper Ore has a reddish tone.
- Iron Ore is red and blue, flashing.
- Silver Ore has a blue shade.
- Gold Ore looks like copper, but with a slight yellow tint.
- Demonite Ore is very hard to distinguish from silver. Since it always gives off a glow, Spelunker is not needed to search for it.
- Cobalt Ore is an intense blue, making it very distinct.
- Mythril Ore looks like silver, only the texture is slightly different and has a hint of green.
- Adamantite Ore is like copper but darker and more red.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Spelunker Potions are best used while playing in high resolution displays.
- The effect of spelunker potions is similar to that of the Spelunker Glowstick, but with the advantage of being able to mine and perform other actions at the same time.
- The sparkling effect seems to be greatest with Lighting setting: Retro.
- The map displays ores very distinctly, making Spelunker Potions almost obsolete.
- The Spelunker Potion is very good for finding rarer ores in Hardmode.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Spelunker no longer gives off light. This prevents ore from showing up on the map.
- Spelunker now causes ore to be gold colored on the screen.
- Desktop 1.2: Displays new treasure and has a Platinum Ore version of the recipe.
- Desktop 1.0.5: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Made changes from PS4’s 1.0.750.0 update. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: ()
- Sprite updated.
- All Ores now glow like they do in Desktop 184.108.40.206.
- Console 1.06: Now has mechanics of Desktop 1.2.3, except all Ores have a unique glow.
- Console 1.02: Displays new treasure and has a Platinum Ore version of the recipe.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Now has mechanics of Desktop 1.2.3.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Displays new treasure and has a Platinum Ore version of the recipe.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced with mechanics and sprites of Desktop 1.2.3.