|Buff tooltip||Shows the location of treasure and ore|
The Spelunker Potion is a buff potion that grants the Spelunker buff when consumed, which illuminates valuable nearby objects. The highlight color varies between versions. This lasts for 5 minutes, but can be canceled at any time by right-clicking the icon (), by selecting the icon and canceling it in the equipment menu ( ), by double-tapping the buff icon (), or by canceling the buff from the buffs screen (). It has a small chance to appear as a bonus drop from Slimes.
The Spelunker buff illuminates the following objects:
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Treasure Colors[edit | edit source]
Desktop, Console, Mobile, and [edit | edit source]
On Desktop, Console, Mobile, and , ore and other treasures will be displayed with a yellow tint. This will somewhat alter the natural color of the highlighted treasure, such as making Cobalt turquoise and Orichalcum red. Some ores are not affected, these being Crimtane (unlike its counterpart Demonite), Meteorite, Obsidian, and Hellstone. Meteorite, however, does provide its own light.
Old-gen console version[edit | edit source]
In the Old-gen console version, every type of ore will be displayed in a specific color and will glow and flash:
- has a reddish tone.
- is red and blue, flashing.
- has a blue shade.
- looks like copper, but with a slight yellow tint.
- is very hard to distinguish from silver. Since it always gives off a glow, Spelunker is not needed to search for it.
- is an intense blue, making it very distinct.
- looks like silver, only the texture is slightly different and has a hint of green.
- is like copper but darker and more red.
Ores and gems.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The sparkling effect seems to be greatest with the "Retro" lighting setting.
- The map displays ores very distinctly, making Spelunker Potions almost obsolete.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The effect of the Spelunker Glowstick is similar to that of Spelunker Potions, but they have the advantage that the player is able to mine and perform other actions at the same time.
- Spelunker Potions are best used while playing in high-resolution displays.
- They are very useful for finding rarer ores in Hardmode.
- Spelunker Potions are best crafted with the type of ore that does not occur naturally in the world. Since that alternative ore is usually obtained in comparatively small numbers (e.g. via crates or an Extractinator), which are often insufficient for crafting gear, it may be wise to use it for Spelunker Potions instead. That way, the naturally occurring ore can also be kept for crafting other gear.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Spelunker no longer gives off light. This prevents ore from showing up on the map.
- Spelunker now causes ore to be gold colored on the screen.
- Desktop 1.2: Displays new treasure and has a Platinum Ore version of the recipe.
- Desktop 1.0.5: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Made changes from PS4’s 1.0.750.0 update. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: ()
- Sprite updated.
- All Ores now glow like they do in Desktop 188.8.131.52.
- Console 1.06: Now has mechanics of Desktop 1.2.3, except all Ores have a unique glow.
- Console 1.02: Displays new treasure and has a Platinum Ore version of the recipe.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Now has mechanics of Desktop 1.2.3.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Displays new treasure and has a Platinum Ore version of the recipe.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced with mechanics and sprites of Desktop 1.2.3.
Footnotes[edit | edit source]
- Tin, Lead, Tungsten, Platinum, Meteorite, Crimtane, Obsidian, Hellstone, Palladium, Orichalcum, Titanium, Chlorophyte, and Diamond are not included.