The Spider Staff is a Hardmode summon weapon that spawns a spider character that follows the player and performs melee attacks by latching on to enemies. If enough of them attack the same enemy, it can be stunlocked. The spiders have a chance to inflict the Venom debuff, can climb walls, and jump high. Like other minions, summoned spiders are invincible and follow the player for an unlimited amount of time, unless the player dies, summons a replacement minion, leaves the world, or cancels the buff.
Its best Modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stats bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, Minions cannot deal critical hits. The only significant advantage a Mythical Spider Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
- Unlike most minions, a spider only takes up .75 of 1 minion slot. Therefore, with 3 potential minions, 4 can be summoned, and with 6 potential minions, 8 can be summoned, etc. This can be especially useful if the player wants a larger pack of summons rather than a more powerful one.
- The Spider minion's ability to move freely on background walls makes it much more effective in areas with good wall coverage. It is otherwise limited to walking and jumping, it cannot fly, and it has no projectile attack, limiting its effectiveness against flying enemies. It can fly in order to catch up to the player, but not for the purposes of attacking.
- Easily acquired when first entering Hardmode, as most players will have already found a Spider cave before it begins. Simply return there to kill the Black Recluses that begin spawning in Hardmode. Black Recluses can take a while to defeat with pre-Hardmode equipment, but the effort is worth it.
- Each time the spider is summoned, it has a random one of three possible sprite graphics. They are all functionally identical.
- This and the Queen Spider Staff are the only items that can inflict the Venom debuff before any mechanical bosses have been defeated.
- The staff appears to be a four legged spider.
- Damage increased from 25 to 26.
- Knockback increased from 2 to 3.
- Now latches on to enemies.
- Each spider now counts as .75 of a minion.