Spiky Ball Trap
When activated, the Traps dispense orange spiky balls that bounce several times, dealing around 90 damage to players (for which the damage is doubled) and around 40 for enemies. They have a cooldown of 5/ 4 seconds.
Spawn Limits[edit | edit source]
Before it spawns a spiky ball, the game goes through every spiky ball in the world, and adds up their 'effect' on the trap based on the pixel distance between the trap's center and the spiky ball's center (a tile on the map is 16*16 pixels) A spiky ball's effect is:
50, if the distance falls in [0,50)
Add the 'effect' up and if the sum is less than 200 (not equal), the spiky ball can spawn.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Damage to players is doubled, stack with the double effect of Expert Mode, yielding 4 times of damage.
- If there are at least two blocks directly under the trap, the ball will be ejected up rather than dropping down.
- Only bounces off solid blocks, not platforms.
- If there is just one block beneath a Trap, the ball will go straight through the block. Therefore, you can set up two rows of Spiky Ball Traps on top of each other and double the number of balls falling down on every activation.
- In 1.3 there is a cap for Spiky Balls being allowed at once. It is not a definite value, but rather like the mechanics for the Statue spawns (at most 3 spawns in a small region, 6 in a medium region and 10 in the whole world), although it is more complicated.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Effective for home defense, especially while using enemy-triggered Pressure Plates.
- While not as effective as Spear Traps, it is still very effective for farming enemies.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Spiky Ball Traps can no longer be broken with Explosives before Golem has been defeated.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Now requires the Picksaw or a better pickaxe to mine.
- Desktop 1.3.1:
- Sprite updated.
- Can now be hammered to rotate 90 degrees at a time.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Cooldown increased from 4 to 5 seconds.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.