Stardust Dragon Staff
|Knockback||2 (Very Weak)|
|Use time||36 Very Slow|
|Tooltip||Summons a stardust dragon to fight for you|
'Who needs a horde of minions when you have a giant dragon?'
|Buff tooltip||The stardust dragon will protect you|
- Stardust Dragon 1
- Stardust Dragon 2
- Stardust Dragon 3
- Stardust Dragon 4
The Stardust Dragon Staff is a Hardmode, post-Lunatic Cultist summon weapon that summons a Stardust Dragon that attacks enemies. The Stardust Dragon is in constant flight and flies through blocks, attacking enemies by flying through them continuously. It leaves a trail of sparkles that provide periodic bursts of light as it moves.
The Stardust Dragon Staff is unique in that if summoned more than once, multiple Dragons do not spawn — instead, the first spawned Dragon becomes longer by one segment for each additional summoning, broadening its area of attack and increasing its damage output.
Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stat bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, minions cannot deal critical hits. The only lasting advantage a Mythical Stardust Dragon Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Piercing attacks will not damage the target when it is under attack by the Stardust Dragon. This can be circumvented by using non-piercing weapons, such as the Razorpine, Flairon, and most bullet-firing guns.
- While Luminite bullets do not create piercing invincibility frames of their own, they are still classified as piercing damage, and will not work against a target that is being attacked by a Stardust Dragon.
- The Stardust Dragon does damage according to the following formula:
summon dmg*(1.69 + .46(summon length - 1))which is all multiplied by a random modifier between 0.85 and 1.15. All segments, including the head and tail, deal the same amount of damage.
- The Stardust Dragon will hit its target exactly ten times per second. So, with the casually achievable summon damage of, say, 130, and 11 segments, it will deal
130 * (1.69 + .46 * (11 - 1)) * 10 = 8177damage per second on average to some relatively slow moving targets (like Moon Lord).
- The Stardust Dragon has a habit of frequently attacking enemies off screen. Keep that in mind in case you are searching for a specific rare item drop.
- Like all other summons, the Stardust Dragon will not prioritize targets that are close to the player. It may be necessary (and it is generally recommended) to defend yourself with weapons from other classes.
Stardust dragon can also do up to 10 times as much as its base damage without any damage increasing buffs or armor
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Stardust Dragon Staff is extremely useful for farming, as high-level summons of it are capable of killing even the toughest non-boss monsters.
- Due to the way The Destroyer works, the Dragon can sometimes attack every part of it at once and kill the boss almost instantly, surpassing even 50,000 damage points per second. This even works on Expert mode.
- With proper minion damage bonuses the Stardust Dragon can easily take out all bosses including the Moon Lord.
- The Dragon will inadvertently kill Critters if it flies over them. Since it stays near you, it can easily destroy insects revealed from grass, etc. If you are farming critters or bait you may want to dispel it.
- On the same note, the Dragon will do damage to cultists at the Dungeon's entrance, although it will not specifically target them. This can lead to accidentally aggroing them or, in some cases, causing the Lunatic Cultist to be summoned, usually undesirably.
- The Stardust Dragon will often wander off and since it is only one minion as a whole, it can leave you defenseless. If playing summoner when fighting hordes of enemies, consider using the Stardust Cell Staff instead.
- Right clicking an enemy will cause the Stardust Dragon to focus on that enemy, though it may change target before killing the enemy it was focused on.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Stardust Dragon is visually similar to the Phantasm Dragon, a minion summoned by the Lunatic Cultist.
- The Stardust Dragon buff icon is also used for the Daybroken debuff, since it cannot be inflicted upon players.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Fixed certain issues with the Stardust Dragon's damage and rebalanced him to be more in line with other minions. (Damage has been decreased from 60 to 40.)
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Fixed size bugs of the Stardust Dragon. Changed sell price from 20 silver to 10 gold.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 188.8.131.52: Introduced.