Strange Plants are quest plant items that can be turned in to the Dye Trader, who rewards the player with one of his 33 quest-exclusive Dyes (the player receives a quantity of 3 of the randomly-chosen Dye type). Strange Plants are found both on the surface and underground.
Acquiring a Strange Plant before the Dye Trader has moved in will fulfill one of his spawning requirements, the other being acquiring a dye-crafting item. Keeping both in the player's inventory, and having a suitable vacant House, will allow the Dye Trader to spawn during a subsequent morning.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Strange Plants can grow on dirt, moss-covered stone, and every type of grass except mushroom grass.
- Given that criteria are fulfilled, they can grow in nearly any area, including space and within water.
- They cannot grow within 480 feet of each other. (240 tiles)
- Like all other dye plants, Strange Plants will be highlighted while under the effects of a Spelunker Potion, but will not be detected by the Metal Detector.
- Despite each plant appearing to reach 3x3 tiles, they technically occupy only one tile and appear on the map as such. They can only be harvested by mining their bottom-center tile (the only one that is actually occupied).
- Strange Plants will spawn in worlds created before 1.3, though you may have to spend some time there before any grow.
- Despite being Amber Rarity, Strange Plants can be sold for 20 , but the dyes that are given as rewards for turning them in can be sold for 60 or more.
- Multiple Strange Plants can be turned in simultaneously without forfeiting rewards.
- Strange Plants cannot be placed in Clay Pots.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Since Strange Plants can grow on grassless dirt, a simple farm can be made to collect them. An empty long, flat platform above the ground can be an effective method of spawning them.
- An easy way to find Strange Plants is to go across the surface with the Spelunker Potion effect, as Strange Plants will be highlighted.
- They do spawn on Floating Islands; since those may be rarely visited, touring them can often yield several.
- Despite Strange Plants looking like they may be biome specific, they are not restricted by appearance and any variety can be found where they may spawn.
- The red Strange Plant bears resemblance to that of a rose bush.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 18.104.22.168: Introduced.