|Dimensions||1 wide ˣ 1 high|
|Use time||14 (Very Fast)|
|Tooltip||Can be traded for rare dyes|
|Internal Item ID: 3385-3388|
|Internal Tile ID: 227|
|Desktop-Only Content: This information applies only to the desktop version of Terraria.|
Strange Plants are quest plant items that can be turned in to the Dye Trader, who rewards the player with one of his 33 quest-exclusive Dyes (the player receives a quantity of 3 of the randomly-chosen Dye type). Strange Plants are found both on the surface and underground.
Acquiring a Strange Plant before the Dye Trader has moved in will fulfill one of his spawning requirements, the other being acquiring a dye-crafting item. Keeping both in the player's inventory, and having a suitable vacant House, will allow the Dye Trader to spawn during a subsequent morning.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Strange Plants can grow on dirt, moss-covered stone, and every type of grass except mushroom grass.
- Given that criteria are fulfilled, they can grow in nearly any area, including space and within water.
- They cannot grow within 480ft of each other.
- Like all other dye plants, Strange Plants will be highlighted while under the effects of a Spelunker Potion, but will not be detected by the Metal Detector.
- Despite each plant appearing to reach 3x3 tiles, they technically occupy only one tile and appear on the map as such. They can only be harvested by mining their bottom-center tile (the only one that is actually occupied).
- Strange Plants will spawn in worlds created before 1.3, though you may have to spend some time there before any grow.
- Despite being Amber Rarity, Strange Plants can be sold for 20 , but the dyes that are given as rewards for turning them in can be sold for 60 or more.
- Multiple Strange Plants can be turned in simultaneously without forfeiting rewards.
- Strange Plants cannot be placed in clay pots.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Since Strange Plants can grow on grassless dirt, making a long, flat platform above the ground can be an effective method of farming them.
- An easy way to find Strange Plants is to go across the surface with the Spelunker Potion effect, as Strange Plants will be highlighted.
- Despite Strange Plants looking like they may be biome specific, they are not restricted by appearance and any variety can be found where they may spawn.
- Strange Plants often grow on Floating Islands. An easy way of harvesting Strange Plants is to routinely check each Floating Island.
History[edit | edit source]
- 188.8.131.52: Introduced.