Strange Plants are quest plant items that can be turned in to the Dye Trader, who rewards the player with one of his 33 quest-exclusive dyes (the player receives a quantity of 3 of the randomly chosen dye type). Strange Plants are found at any altitude.
Acquiring a Strange Plant before the Dye Trader has moved in will fulfill one of his spawning requirements, the other being acquiring a dye-crafting item. Keeping both in the player's inventory and having a suitable vacant house will allow the Dye Trader to spawn during a subsequent morning.
Strange Plants always grow in any biome and in the Overworld.
- Strange Plants can only grow under certain circumstances:
- Like all other dye plants, Strange Plants will be highlighted while under the effects of a Spelunker Potion, but will not be detected by the Metal Detector.
- Despite each plant appearing to reach 3×3 tiles, they technically occupy only one tile and appear on the map as such. They can only be harvested by mining their bottom-center tile (the only one that is actually occupied).
- Strange Plants will spawn in worlds created before 1.3, though it might take some time until any grow.
- Multiple Strange Plants can be turned in simultaneously without forfeiting rewards.
- Strange Plants cannot be placed in Clay Pots.
- Despite Strange Plants looking like they may be biome-specific, they are not restricted by appearance and any variety can be found where they may spawn.
- Since Strange Plants can grow on bare, grassless dirt, a simple farm can be made to collect them. An empty long, flat platform above the ground can be an effective method of spawning them.
- An easy way to find Strange Plants is to go across the surface with the Spelunker Potion effect, as Strange Plants will be highlighted.
- Strange Plants can spawn on Floating Islands. Since those may be rarely visited, touring them can often yield several.
- Selling the dyes granted as rewards for turning in the Strange Plant is more profitable than selling the plant itself. A single Strange Plants sells for
2000*20 while the quest-exclusive dyes can be sold for 7500*75 each, at minimum.
- The red Strange Plant bears resemblance to a rose bush.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 18.104.22.168: Introduced.