|Type||Miscellaneous – Furniture|
|Dimensions||2 wide ˣ 4 high|
|Use time||14 (Very Fast)|
|Buff duration||Infinite while in vicinity|
|Buff tooltip||Movement speed increased and monster spawns reduced|
|Buy / Sell||2 / 40|
|Internal Item ID: 63|
|Internal Buff ID: 146|
|Internal Tile ID: 27|
Sunflowers are large plants which can be found growing naturally on Grass, and can be freed with a pickaxe or drill. They cannot be grown from seeds like most other plants, but are instead placed fully-grown, either naturally on world generation or by the player. They can also be purchased from the Dryad for 2 each, while a blood moon is not occuring.
Sunflowers provide the following functions:
- They prevent the spread of Corruption, even in Hardmode (though they only affect blocks they are placed on).
- They provide the Happy! buff to players within a 50-tile radius, which grants a +10% movement speed bonus and 17% reduction in enemy spawn rate.
- Each Sunflower decreases an area's total corruption rating by 5 tiles. This rating is used to determine whether NPCs will reject Housing. If placed in large quantities, they can allow NPCs to live near tainted blocks. This effect covers a radius of about 25 tiles.
Sunflowers can only be placed on Grass and Hallowed Grass (at any height) but require an absence of walls behind them when placed (walls can be placed behind them afterward, however). They cannot be placed on Jungle Grass, Corrupt Grass, Crimson Grass, bare Dirt Blocks, nor in Clay Pots or Planter Boxes. They have a very low chance of spawning more sunflowers in a small area.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Sunflower's Happy! buff stacks with the Asphalt movement speed buff.
- The buff reduces Critter spawns, so if the player would like to collect Bait, it is wise to remove any nearby Sunflowers.
- Sunflowers glow in the dark.
- The Sunflower's Happy! buff will stack with Peace Candles, further reducing enemy spawn rates.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- There are other placeable plants (none of which provide buffs or debuffs):
- In the release trailer for 1.3, a variant of sunflower was shown with a golden interior as opposed to the regular sunflower (some are seen in the beginning of the trailer). It never ended up in the final update and its effects are unknown.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Sunflowers now reduce Crimson’s effects.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.