|Placeable||(2 wide × 4 high)|
|Use time||15 (Very fast)|
|Buff tooltip||Movement speed increased and monster spawns reduced|
|Duration||Infinite while in vicinity|
Sunflowers are large plants which can be found growing naturally on grass, and can be freed with a pickaxe or drill. They cannot be grown from seeds like most other plants, but are instead placed fully-grown, either naturally on world generation or by the player. They can also be purchased from the Dryad for
5000*50 each, while a Blood Moon is not occurring.
Sunflowers provide the following functions:
- The area under them cannot become Corrupted, Crimsoned or Hallowed, even in Hardmode. This may prevent Corrupted grass from spreading sideways.
- Each Sunflower decreases an area's total corruption rating by 5 tiles. This rating is used to determine whether NPCs will reject Housing. If placed in large quantities, they can allow NPCs to live near tainted blocks. This effect covers a radius of about 25 tiles.
- They provide the Happy! buff to players within a 170x125 () / 100x84 ( ) tile radius, which grants a +10% movement speed bonus and 17% reduction in enemy spawn rate.
- Sunflowers help to prevent Graveyard biomes from forming by essentially canceling out one Tombstone for every sunflower placed in the vicinity.
Sunflowers can only be placed on grass and Hallowed grass (at any height). They cannot be placed on Corrupt grass, Crimson grass, bare Dirt Blocks, nor in Clay Pots or Planter Boxes. They have a very low chance of spawning more Sunflowers in a small area. While grass can be spread from the surface, the first requirement can be easily accomplished by a Staff of Regrowth. The second requirement can be difficult to fulfill if there are natural walls nearby, but a hammer can be used to make a clear line to a nearby uncovered area.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Sunflower's Happy! buff stacks with the Asphalt movement speed buff.
- The buff reduces critter spawns, so if the player would like to collect bait, it is wise to remove any nearby Sunflowers.
- Sunflowers glow in the dark.
- The Sunflower's Happy! buff will stack with Peace Candles, further reducing enemy spawn rates.
- When placed in a Graveyard biome, Sunflowers do not grant nearby players the Happy! buff.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- There are other placeable plants (none of which provide buffs or debuffs):
- In the release trailer for 1.3, a variant of sunflower was shown with a golden interior as opposed to the regular sunflower (some are seen in the beginning of the trailer). It never ended up in the final update and its effects are unknown.
- Sunflowers' ability to resist Corruption may be a reference to their real-world reputation for cleaning up nuclear radiation.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Sunflowers can now prevent the graveyard minibiome from being created.
- Sunflowers now stop the spread of the Hallow.
- Area of effect increased.
- Sprites updated.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Sunflowers now reduce Crimson’s effects.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
- U.Va. Undergraduate Researcher Studies Sunflowers’ Power to Clean Up Soil  (Accessed 5/25/2020)