Armor polish drop?[edit source]
I have been attempting for a while now to get some Armor Polish from these skeletons, but so far have only received a few Beam Swords and the skeleton banner. Can anyone else confirm that they actually drop the Armor Polish, or perhaps I am just very unlucky? Ivysaur1996 (talk) 22:45, 14 October 2013 (UTC)
- Yes they do actually drop armor polish i have got it a few times from armored skeletons so your just very unlucky. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 03:02, 20 September 2014 (UTC)
- 2015, v1.3; i can confirm the drop. killed 400 of them in hardmode in a hallowed cavern and got ONE armor polish, pre-mechanical bosses. mby the droprate is a bit broken or i was just unlucky but except for the armor polish i got every rare thing multiple times. mechanical boss spawners, hallowed keys, beam swords, lots of Lost Girls, Hallowed Mimics and normal Mimics spawns. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) at 23:14, 29 July 2015 (UTC)
- 2019, v1.3; The drop rate is definitely not 1% in all cases. Either (a) there is a bug, or (b) only the 400/400 Heavy Skeletons drop it, or (c) it drops at a much lower rate pre-mechanical bosses and becomes 1% later. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 04:28, 6 June 2019 (UTC)
- Looking at the 18.104.22.168 source code, I can confirm that the drop chance for the Armor Polish is 1% / 2% at all times. It is dropped by the NPCs with the IDs 77, 273, 274, 275, and 276, i.e. both Armored Skeletons and all four Blue Armored Bones variants. --Rye Greenwood (talk) 20:20, 6 June 2019 (UTC)
- I believe you about the source code, but there must be a bug then because it's definitely not dropping at a 1% rate. Not just me, but many people have asked about the same thing for this item specifically. Every other rare item, even rarer items, has dropped like 10 times already. Statistics isn't magic, multiple people can't all be that (un)lucky for that long. Can you find the bug in the source code and let them know how to fix it? ^^ —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 02:57, 7 June 2019 (UTC)
Which is why i thought the bug only happens under certain conditions, since most people complaining are pre- mechanical bosses and only have armored skeletons to kill. But having killed almost 1000 of them i still have 0 polishes. If no one else on reddit/steam/etc were complaining i'd say i was just unlucky, but i don't see similar complaints about other items so i still think there is a bug. Thanks for trying it out though. 126.96.36.199 12:25, 7 June 2019 (UTC)
- If you would like some insight on how the drop is calculated (in normal mode): Every time an NPC with one if the IDs above is killed, the game generates a natural number between 0 and 99, using elaborate randomizers. If this number happens to be equal to 0, the killed NPC drops an Armor Polish. There is nothing indicating a bug in this procedure, it is the same for all other drops (of course, with other limits and, potentially, additional conditions).
- In fact, it is absolutely not guaranteed to receive 1 Armor Polish out of 100 Armored Skeletons. Here's the math:
- The process of generating the random number can be described as a composed experiment: Shuffle a deck and check whether the top card is an ace, repeat 100 times. Since this experiment is a random experiment with exactly two possible outcomes, "success" (card is an ace) and "failure" (card is not an ace), in which the probability of success is the same every trial, the experiment is a Bernoulli trial. The probability of success is . The number of trials is . The probability of getting exactly success is (Binomial distribution).
- However, we don't want to exclude getting more than one success, so we use :
- As you can see, the probability of getting at least 1 ace in 100 trials with a probability of 0.01 is merely two thirds, far from 100%. Likewise, the probability of obtaining exactly one Armor Polish out of 100 Armored Skeletons is the same.
- Now, to calculate the probability of getting at least 1 Armor Polish out of 1000 Armored Skeletons, as in your situation:
- 99.99568% is extremely close to 100%, but just not equal to it. Therefore, it is possible that no Armor Polish drops out of 1000 Armored Skeletons.
- What is probably more interesting, though, is the minimum number of Armored Skeletons required to be killed in order to have at least a certain chance of obtaining at least one Armor Polish. You haven't obtained one with a chance of 99.99568%, so let's try it with 99.99999999%:
- At least 2292 Armored Skeletons have to be defeated to get at least one Armor Polish with a chance of 99.99999999% (not 100% – you might still need to defeat more!).
- Usually, though, a chance of 99% should suffice, which requires defeating at least 459 Armored Skeletons (sparing the whole calculation here, you're getting the idea).
- It's all stochastics! :p
- --Rye Greenwood (talk) 14:56, 7 June 2019 (UTC)
- I created a new normal world to test it again. After killed 400 Armored Skeletons (the number is from Westgrass (talk) 15:02, 7 June 2019 (UTC) ), I had 6 Armor Polishes. Can you check your kill count via again? BTW: In this test, I got first Armor Polish at about 170 killed. --
Damage swapped?[edit source]
The page indicates that damage switched from 36 to 260, but I've been hit by these things and had about 50 armor. They didn't seem to be that much of a threat. I think the numbers are just in the wrong order. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 07:15, 28 September 2014 (UTC)
- To support this, the page states that the damage was "reduced" from "36 to 260", despite 260 being a bigger number Pbone3 (talk) 23:34, 7 June 2019 (UTC)