- Probably the mana cost. Megashark fires faster and can still obtain Unreal, which provides the same speed bonus as Mythical. Equazcion (talk) 16:30, 16 May 2014 (UTC)
- Looks like I might be wrong, as other mana-reducing mods work. Although the general consensus on Crystal Storm is that it can't get Mythical due to the same mana cost.
- The explanation on this page currently says the Bubble Gun can get every other "buff", though interestingly, Manic and Taboo seem to be impossible. Those are the magic-only mods that offer speed increases -- though the same increase can be gotten through any of the "common" mods, like Quick, Deadly, Nasty, which this weapon does take.
- It seems to simply not take any Magic-only mod that increases speed? Maybe. I'm not aware of a mechanic that would cause such a limitation. Equazcion (talk) 20:32, 16 May 2014 (UTC)
- Think I found the problem. In the game code, the actual multipliers for speed are different for the common and magic mods:
- 0.9f = Mythical useAnimation multiplier
- 0.95f = Superior useAnimation multiplier
- The mod limits are enforced by performing the multiplication, then rounding to the nearest whole number. If the rounded value turns out to be the same as the base value -- ie. there wasn't enough of a change to push it over to the next whole number when rounding -- the mod isn't applied.
- Crystal Storm has an even faster speed, so it can't get either one: Its rounded value after multiplying by both of these numbers is the same as its base speed. But the Bubble Gun is just slow enough to cause the rounded value to equal one more than its base value when using the slightly larger multiplier that Superior etc. offer.
- It's strange, because the Razorpine, which has the same speed but slightly higher mana cost, seems to be able to get Mythical (at least, that's what NoseOfCthulhu assured in the discussion page). Also, Superior doesn't affect speed, I suppose you meant Deadly and the like...
Any opinion on the trivia mentioning a connection to Duke Nukem? As 'Duke' is just a royal title in some way and the mentioned phrase originates from a movie called They Live according to some basic research it seems just wrong to have it on the page.--DoubleFloat (talk) 15:54, 25 May 2014 (UTC)
- I have no idea if a Duke Nukem reference is intended. You have to appreciate the creativity that led to drawing a connection between this and his "bubble gum" quote, even if it's a longshot. I don't see a problem keeping it, perhaps with a little less assured wording. Equazcion (talk) 18:32, 25 May 2014 (UTC)
I'm fairly certain that the the bubble gun tops the shadowbeam staff in DPS. If no one objects... I'll change the trivia section --188.8.131.52 01:54, 19 April 2015 (UTC)
- "Bubble Gun" is one letter away from "Bubble Gum", and the N and M sounds are very similar. Even if reference wasn't intended, these words are really similar. If this trivia were removed, it's likely that someone would just re-add it later. –KM100 (talk) 17:07, 9 July 2015 (UTC)