- 1 Loot Section
- 2 half gold?
- 3 False assertions
- 4 Reflector Datamining
- 5 Submerged Chests?
- 6 Missing Loot?
- 7 Underground chests
- 8 Suggestion: Combine all the chest pages
- 9 craftable chests
- 10 Max number of player placed chests?
- 11 New Chests in World Generation; page needs updated approprietly
- 12 Range to craft?
- 13 Crystal Chest
- 14 Someone edit the craftable chests
- 15 Old-Gen Chest Renaming
Loot Section[edit source]
This are some seriously good findings from an anonymous poster, and they completely agree with what I've seen while playing. Whoever you are, please create an account and post on the talk page for this sort of thing. --Theothersteve7 16:13, 2 June 2011 (UTC
half gold?[edit source]
I have places a chest underground and it turned half gold (gold on the bottom) what does that mean?
False assertions[edit source]
"There is guaranteed to be at least one of each of these items in a given world. Each other chest in remaining dungeon rooms has a 50% chance of receiving a chest containing only standard loot from the Underground list. " This statement about the dungeon is false. My small world had no muramasa, and my brother's had no blue moon or handgun. So unless you can prove this statement true it should be removed.
- Source code indicates that the first six chests generated in the dungeon will contain these items. However, it may (somebody willing to dive into the Dungeon generation code can confirm) be possible for fewer than six chests to be generated, in which case the items off the end will be missing. I've made an edit to indicate this (and fixed some crazy wording). Finding all the items besides a Muramasa should not be possible, you probably just missed a chest somewhere. It MAY be possible that the chests are removed later, but that does not seem likely.
I've also got a dungeon which contains no muramasa and I checked this using a map viewer to scan for the chests. I'm certain I've obtained all of the items from my dungeon and yet still have no muramasa so its definitely possible. I do have one of every other dungeon loot present however. I guess it may be to do with the fact that my dungeon has fewer than six rooms and some of the chests are in the shafts.
- Conversely, I've gotten a dungeon with three muramasas. Unless my math skills have completely deserted me, three is more than one, so I'd like to know where this 'only one of each' line came from. --Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk • contribs)
- From 1.0.5 or earlier, when it was still true. --Lunboks 22:18, 14 August 2011 (UTC)
Reflector Datamining[edit source]
I've updated the page with datamined probabilities from using Reflector 1.0.5. Feel free to better format the data - maybe something using horizontal space more effectively would be a better choice. I also couldn't think of a way to describe the algorithm in a good style. The random items are determined by going through each row in the table I've shown and checking the probability in the chance column against a random number. If the check passes then a random stack of items is chosen from the set in the row and is placed in the chest. This is done for every row in the item table. There's technically a loop that goes through this process until at least one item is in the chest, but since the rare item is guaranteed the loop is rather pointless.
The floating island data is there because I got inspired to figure all this out from the data collection page. I can do dungeons and jungle shrines next, but it'll take a minute to find where that is in the code and wade through the rats nest of conditionals. RestfulMonad 05:55, 28 June 2011 (UTC)
Submerged Chests?[edit source]
Why there are no Breathing Reed, Flipper, Trident in those lists?
- For the same reason as below. Nobody (who has access to the code) can be bothered skimming through the find out the percentages and amounts and locations etc. • iLiaWneK • T • C • 10:08, 15 August 2011 (UTC)
Missing Loot?[edit source]
I just found a cavern chest that had a suspicious looking eye in it, I checked this page and it had no eye listed as loot. Can someone confirm that this is not a bug? --Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk • contribs)
- It was listed in the changelog, so not a bug. It's more a case of nobody can be arsed to look through the code to figure out all the changed loot again. The chest generation is not very pretty at all; it's basically one giant function with a lot of
if/elses. Figuring out which code path corresponds to which game location and looking up all the item IDs is not much fun. --Lunboks 18:07, 14 August 2011 (UTC)
Oh, I guess I missed that in the changelog, was too lazy to read it all. Well now I can summon 2 chtulu's when I'm ready for it.
Underground chests[edit source]
"Underground chests are always Gold Chests." Really? I've encountered more normal chests then golden chests, in fact I think I was one level deeper when I found the first golden chest. --188.8.131.52 17:43, 1 January 2012 (UTC)
- I think it depends on which version you had when the world was generated. Gold Chests were only added in 1.0.5. Other wise the author may have confused the Underground level with the Cavern level. — iLiaWneK (block) 10:34, 3 January 2012 (UTC)
Suggestion: Combine all the chest pages[edit source]
I suggest that all the chest pages be combined into one page, because every page other than this one is either empty or contains the same information as this page already does. And to look at it in another way, would you rather search for "Rich Mahogany Chest" or just "Chest".
craftable chests[edit source]
The "Craftable Chests" section should be removed. It clutters up the page a lot. The information about which chests are craftable can also be found in the "Crafting" section which includes the recipes. Wip3r (talk) 12:14, 24 May 2014 (UTC)
Max number of player placed chests?[edit source]
I was trying to create a storage world to dump all the excess building materials and cool items I don't want to use very often. After a point it wouldn't let me place any more chests. If I broke a few I could then place that many more. Max number seems to be 453 (if I counted correctly) 184.108.40.206 18:24, 3 September 2014 (UTC)
New Chests in World Generation; page needs updated approprietly[edit source]
Granite chest in world gen now, and only appears in the granite minibiome. Other chests may spawn, but Granite chests are in (confirmation needed)
- I can confirm it. Furthermore, I can also confirm that rich mahogany chests spawn now in the jungle. --Morenohijazo 18:27, 17 July 2015 (UTC)
Range to craft?[edit source]
Some research needs to be done to determine how far away a crating station can be from a chest and vice-versa. 220.127.116.11 22:24, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
Crystal Chest[edit source]
Why does it take 20 Crystal Blocks to craft instead of 8 like every other craftable chest? 18.104.22.168 00:55, 15 March 2018 (UTC)
- Mostly just an effort at balancing; takes 8 bars or patience-absolutely-required-Pumpkins for other Chests, so the devs might’ve thought something like, “why should a player be able to easily mine 8 crystal blocks to make a Chest otherwise hard to craft?” —ϟAwesome_Diamondsϟ「talk」 01:10, 15 March 2018 (UTC)
Someone edit the craftable chests[edit source]
- All wooden Chests have either no icons (craftable on all versions of the game) or Desktop-Console-Old-gen-Mobile icons (not craftable on 3DS), so I'm not sure what needs to be changed. – ReedemtheD3ad! (talk) 02:45, 2 October 2018 (UTC)