Mechanic's Rod[edit source]
The mechanic is not selling the Mechanic's Rod fishing pole during either the waning (after full, crescent on left) or waxing (before full, crescent on right) crescent moon in my world. Is it necessary for the world to be in hardmode? Are there other requirements?
The world in question is a new post-1.2.4 world, so it's not an issue of "must create a new world" or "must be a newly-obtained Mechanic" which would be likely possibilities.
Will test in new world to see if this is true across worlds, then put a world into hardmode to see if it changes, but this will take several hours of work at a bare minimum; 40 to 80 minutes in-game from crescent to crescent, plus time to reach and defeat Skeletron, find and rescue the Mechanic, build suitable NPC housing, and clear the WoF... for each world tested. So if the community could answer a few basic questions just in passing, we could have the answer a lot sooner: making a quick check of whether the Mechanic is selling it next time you're in the area, if the Mechanic's Rod is for sale...
- What are the time of day and moon phase?
- How many fishing quests have you completed?
- Have you beaten any bosses besides Skeletron?
These are the most likely candidates for inspiring the sale of the Mechanic's Rod IMO; obviously, since you have the Mechanic clearly you have entered the dungeon and therefore defeated Skeletron, and if you've beaten the WoF your world is in hardmode.
Also worth confirming that someone actually has bought the Mechanic's Rod. It's possible that this is just a plain old bug and the Mechanic just plain doesn't sell it.
I've got two other post-1.2.4 worlds with Skeletron defeated but the Mechanic not rescued, so I can test those in just a few hours, but my current character may not be up to the WoF just yet so I'll need to grind for gear before I can get any of them into hardmode. Current plan is to get the Mechanic safely enhoused, then dick around until nightfall and hit the magic mirror to check her inventory. If I can confirm no Mechanic's Rod for sale at any phase of the moon in three worlds (the two already created and one new one just for this purpose), I'll pull one into hardmode and check again. If there's no joy in four hardmode worlds, I'll start doing fishing quests.
Seriously, this is going to be like fifty to a hundred hours of gameplay to research, so even if all you can do is say "not for sale in this one moon phase at hardmode, all bosses defeated" that saves me an hour or more and makes a real difference. CDarklock (talk) 07:20, 14 May 2014 (UTC)
- Mine is an existing world created way back in 1.2 or so. No Angler quests completed. All bosses beaten except the new Duke Fishron. Mechanic sold the rod right away after 1.2.4 upgrade, I believe it was a waning crescent moon. I'm testing now to be sure and will get back (Cheat Engine is a good way to get to particular times without spending hours at the screen). Equazcion (talk) 11:26, 14 May 2014 (UTC)
- Confirmed that it's the waning crescent moon (phase 4 as shown in Moon). Equazcion (talk) 11:40, 14 May 2014 (UTC)
- Also confirmed the pole is NOT sold during the waxing crescent moon (phase 6). Equazcion (talk) 11:53, 14 May 2014 (UTC)
- Looked at the source code, seems the conditions are set like this:
if (NPC.AnyNPCs(369) && Main.hardMode && Main.moonPhase == 3). Basically it says you need to have acquired the Angler NPC (checked which one ID 369 was), you need to be in Hardmode, and a certain moon phase (don't know the moon phase numbers but I already know from testing that this refers to the waning crescent moon). Equazcion (talk) 12:06, 14 May 2014 (UTC)
- If the full moon is phase 0, then waning crescent would indeed be 3. The cycle in that event goes full (0) - waning gibbous (1) - last quarter (2) - waning crescent (3) - new (4) - waxing crescent (5) - first quarter (6) - waxing gibbous (7),
Golden Fishing Rod repeat reward[edit source]
I've got two main worlds that I fish in: one pre-hardmode, one hardmode. The Anglers in both worlds have given me multiple Golden Fishing Rods on the same character. Is this a bug or is it supposed to stay in the reward pool after the 50th quest? FyreNWater (talk) 22:29, 25 June 2014 (UTC)
- Each world has a seperate angler and seperate quests so that means you had 49 quests done in both worlds. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) at 02:43, 31 August 2014 (UTC)
I just got a 2nd golden rod in my main char/world. What if he gives you one each 50 quests instead of just giving one per char/world?-SomeGuy —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 17:35, 21 October 2014 (UTC)
So, Two Things...[edit source]
THING ONE: i proved the no fishing in water thing false i was standing IN THE WATER and my bobber is in THING TWO: how do you ACTUALLY fish all i figured out is to get the bobber in the water... ...help? please?
- Fishing is detailed pretty concisely on the Fishing page: you cast your line and wait for the bobber to jump. It's this jump that's not possible while submerged in water; while it's possible to cast while submerged, nothing will ever bite. Gearzein (talk) 02:38, 24 November 2015 (UTC)
Hi there, just a suggestion: direct links to the fishing polls that are listed here would be great. If I click on one of them right now, I only get the picture. --126.96.36.199 11:06, 18 February 2017 (UTC)
- Since all fishing poles are mechanically identical (besides the differences in fishing power and velocity), we decided to put them all on one page. There aren't separate pages for each fishing pole. – Ferretwings (talk) 22:45, 18 February 2017 (UTC)
Gold fishingrod in prehard mode[edit source]
i have 3 wolds 1 hardmode and has a angler ohter two dont so im wondering do i have to defte the wall of fless in ecas woled or just make houses cuz i dont want to wast my ammo so yeea bye see you tomorrow —Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 21:19, 20 July 2017 (UTC)
- The Angler is pre-hardmode. You can find him sleeping on water in the Ocean biome. He will award the Golden Fishing Rod after completing the 30th / 50th quest (0.4% chance on every quest after 75th quest). – Ferretwings (talk) 02:38, 21 July 2017 (UTC)
Gold Fishing Rod Before 30 quests[edit source]
I was playing Xbox One 1.3 and I got the golden fishing rod on about the 18th quest. Is that supposed to happen? (I also got the gold bug net right before it) 184.108.40.206 02:02, 15 February 2018 (UTC)