Talk:Staff of the Frost Hydra
Has anyone managed to make a Mythical staff of Frost Hydra? I think it's impossible.
- I have. Like most reforging, it takes a bit of (good) luck and a lot of spare platinum coins. Or you could just get really, REALLY lucky and naturally find a MYTHICAL Frost Hydra Staff when opening a Frozen Chest in the Dungeon. Don't give up; it's not impossible. 184.108.40.206 00:06, 5 December 2013 (UTC)
- I just reforged it to Mythical in 220.127.116.11. 100+ platinum. Thanx for verifying!
Most of the "Mythical" mods only affect the initial summoning, and minions cannot critically hit. The best possible modifier is therefore Ruthless, which deals extra damage with (virtually) no downside. I have updated the page to reflect this.
is this really a summon weapon? I'd class it more as a magic one. it isnt affected by summon bonuses, doesn't count to your summon total, isn't permanent, is stationary ect.
It does deal minion damage, and is affected by boosts to minion damage, so it's an atypical minion. I question whether or not ruthless is actually the best modifier for this weapon, though, namely due to the fact that, unlike other summon weapons, this one does have high knockback, and the fact that it has to be repeatedly summoned over periods of time, so wouldn't masterful or mythical be a better modifier for this weapon?
I just found a Staff of the Frost Hydra in a frozen chest in a dungeon, pre-hardmode. Is this really a hardmode item? 18.104.22.168 06:34, 18 January 2015 (UTC)
- Last sentence of the first paragraph.
- So it requires a Frozen Key to open. Clicking Frozen Key takes us to the page about Biome Keys, which has this to say.
- When in hardmode every enemy has a 0.04% (1 in 2500) chance of dropping a Biome Key Mold. The type of Biome Key Mold that is dropped depends on the biome you are currently in (Jungle, Corruption, Crimson, Hallow or Ice). The Ocean biomes are unique in that any mold can drop there. These molds are then crafted into keys by using a Temple Key (dropped by Plantera) and Hardmode "Mechanical" boss Souls. These keys can then be used on their respective Biome Chest. The key is consumed when the lock is opened.
- If you acquired a key prior to hardmode, it was either through coming into contact with a hardmode world or altering your inventory to have one of these keys. There's no way to legitimately obtain it without considerable hardmode resources. Gearzein (talk) 07:25, 18 January 2015 (UTC)
- It's classified as hardmode despite the fact that it is present for the entire game due to the fact that obtaining it requires hardmode items. F12:50, 21 March 2015 (UTC)s
Doesn't work[edit source]
For some reason, I have the staff of the frost hydra but for some reason it doesn't work, even though my friend's staff works properly. I am using the mobile version 22.214.171.124 05:23, 15 June 2016 (UTC)